Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Newbie with questions, but little cash!

Started by alexgwoodruff ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Newbie with questions, but little cash!

5 posts
  1. Hi everyone,

     

    I am going to be married on Aitutaki in the Cook Islands in December. I decided I would get my camera bag in order early so that I could road test everything... (I usually use a Nikon D70 above the ground). As I was delving into the bottom of my camera chest I came across a Sea&Sea MX-5 that I bought for a trip to the Maldives about 5 years ago!

    I took a quick look through my albums and remember being dissappointed with the shots - but I put it down to first time Scuba and underwater photography.

    My question is - Is there anything I can do to improve the lighting on the MX5? If not, what film speed would you suggest for snorkelling to 10 ft or so? Would I do better wrapping my old fujifilm digital in a plastic bag?

     

    Thanks for reading... I am looking forward to being more prepared for this trip!

  2. Hi Alex,

     

    Are you going there via the US or Asia? Either way, you can probably pick up a housing for your fujifilm for $150 as long as it isn't too old.

     

    Rarotonga is nice too,and can provide some welcome entertainment after a while in Aitutaki, don't miss steak night by the airport on a friday or the infamous disco night at the banana court on a wednesday!

     

    Simon

  3. Thanks Simon,

     

    I'm actually a Brit living in Arizona. So I will be flying LAX to Raro. My fujifilm is probably 6 years old.... but I will definately take a look at what is available for it as a housing.

     

    Thanks

    Edited by alexgwoodruff
  4. Hmm, you might struggle to find a housing with it being that old.

     

    Some of the sponsors on the right have good deals on camera/housing packages if you decide to get a whole new set. Check B&H in NY or samy's in LA too.

  5. Thanks :D I just checked on ebay and I could replace my old finepix a405 for 5 quid!!!!

    Maybe a plastic bag is all I will need!!! After all, I probably wont ever use the camera again... its been collecting dust for the last 5 years!

    But seriously.... no chance with the S&S MX5? I have read a lot of pretty bad reviews over the last 2 hours or so.

    Edited by alexgwoodruff

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.