Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

I think its a worm?

Started by Islandbound ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

I think its a worm?

6 posts
  1. Went out for a night swim and these worms (?) were here and there in the water.

     

    2611434030100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2507934230100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2605096830100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

     

    2647572660100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

  2. Yeah, that's what I call a worm, all right! :D:) It's in the polychaete family Amphinomidae, genus Chloeia, one of the fireworm species. I've seen several images of different Chloeia species swimming so apparently it's fairly common. I assumed that they're swimming in search of prey. Your pictures suggest that they will also swim up into the water column to spawn as your individual is packed full of eggs or sperm. Another interesting thing (for me) is that I haven't seen this species before. Thanks for posting these lovely pics.

  3. Leslie, during the time we were out we probably saw a dozen of these worms and all of them were as fat as this one was.

  4. wow, great photos!

     

    beautiful colors on that worm...and a real worm it is!

     

    was this with your D80/ike housing/dual Ys-110's, and a 60mm lens?

     

    scott

  5. The pictures were taken with a D80 - 60mm Nikor lens - Ikelite housing - single DS 51 strobe and the Nocturnal SLX focus light. Manual at 1/160 and F10.

  6. Chloeias are normally fat. What I'm keying in on is the pink along the sides that's most obvious in the 3rd picture. Those look like eggs. I'd love to see some hi-res files & check for more details.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.