I'm headed to Costa Rica for 5 weeks in August/September. I'd maybe like to take a picture like this one. I have a Canon Powershot A630 (point and shoot digi-cam) and the Canon underwater housing.
I can get a fish eye lens for the camera, but I doubt it'll fit under the housing.
Can that sort of photo be done with this amateur equipment, or am I lacking?
It can be done yes. What you need is an external fisheye or WA lens to add to your housing as opposed to adding in onto the camera. You might check with some of the sponsors who carry Canon housing as to which one you will need.
It can be done. This is a shot I took with a Canon S70. No add on lens. Just the stock Canon housing.
Mind you it was dead calm and the S70 has a wider lens 28mm?...
Unfortunately I would have to damper your enthusiasm. I would think the only way to take a really nice O/U would be with a dome port (external fisheye port) and I'm almost certain there isn't one for Canon's Housing due to the shape of the ports on their housings. I would start with Ikelite and see if they have something in mind for their housings for that camera.
If you use an Inon AD mount base (if there's one available for this housing) then you can fit an Inon fisheye lens - which has a small dome port.
There's one for sale on Ebay at the moment. Otherwise, check with Reef Photo
Cheers
James
I just learned that the WP-DC8 casing doesn't allow for external fisheye attachments or mount bases. It is able to accept and successfully use the Inon D2000S and D2000 S-TTL digital strobes with Sea Optics WPDC8 fibre optic kit.
So, not only can I not take macros with this housing, but it's also probably impossible to take over/under pictures.
pakman - How did you accomplish your over/under photo? Did you just submerge the camera halfway into the water and keep it halfway out?
pakman - How did you accomplish your over/under photo? Did you just submerge the camera halfway into the water and keep it halfway out?
yes, but I can see that being extremely frustrating in less than flat conditions. we had surfaced from dive in a protected cove and you can see the surface was absolutely flat...
I also try to take these type of shots. It is near impossible!!!
I have the Canon S70. I also have the Inon UWL and have tried many times to take some up/under type of shots. In any conditions other than FLAT it is very very difficult.
Also using the UWL as soon as the housing breaks the surface the water drains from the gap between the housing and the lens so most of my shots have a big water line across them.
Has anyone tried with the Inon UFL or the UWL in a dome?
So, not only can I not take macros with this housing,...
Maybe not "true" macros, but you've still got the camera macro mode to play with.
That goofy flattened circle lens snout is a real bummer for trying to add external lens, isn't it?
I've used the D-2000 with my A630, but still haven't figured out the best settings for the camera.