Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Post larval fish ID?

Started by laz217 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Post larval fish ID?

7 posts
  1. Does anyone have any clue what this fish in its post larval stage (~1cm length) could be? My very limited library of references has no mention of it.

     

    postlarvalfish.jpg

  2. Reminds me of an oarfish but I have no substantive guess.

  3. Cool picture!

  4. Very cool picture.

     

    From the eyes, I'd guess it might be a sole or flounder. The fins would be consistent, too.

  5. Yeah... It does look a bit like an Oar fish. That would be very cool if that's what it is but based on its behaviors I don't believe so. I suppose I should mention a few things about it.

     

    First of all, I found it drifting close to shore in West Palm Beach, FL. Its swims similar to a Flounder except vertically. One odd behavior I noticed was that it curled itself into a little ball from time to time as it drifted along.

     

    That's about all I have on it.

  6. Thanks, William. It didn't occur to me to check imagequest3d. Those guys are great!

     

    It's interesting to see that the flounder goes through quite a physical transformation from its larval stage to adult. Aside from both eyes moving to the same side of the fish it appears the little flag thingamijig (scientific term) might move too. It even changes its method of swimming from vertically to horizontal. Talk about a confused fish.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.