Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Who is using EDIUS

Started by wagsy ·

  • 19Posts
  • 19Replies

Read-only discussion

Who is using EDIUS

19 posts
  1. Interested to hear thoughts from any other folks out there that have been using EDIUS.

     

    As a few of you know, I was converted from Premiere Pro and Aspect HD after I found that the Canopus HQ codec handled colour correction better than the Aspect HD (8 bit cineform) one plus it encoded out better m2t files faster. It also makes encoding out to many other formats real easy. My 3 GIG PC could also convert to the Canopus HD codec in realtime as it came in which Premiere Pro & the Aspect HD codec could not achieve on the same PC.

     

    Our progressive Naturally Ningaloo DVD which we made a few months back with EDIUS has sold over 550 copies so far just in our tiny town to the tourists all without a single complaint. We have also just about finshed our second DVD project for a Local Government Conservation Department here mixing 1440/1080 & DV 4.3 & DV 16.9 all together on a DV 16.9 timeline like child's play.

     

    In a few days there will be a new version of EDIUS released (4.5) and it's free to anyone who has a copy of EDIUS 4 now. It has many improvements along with the ability to encode out AC3 files for DVD's.

     

    EDIUS by itself has yet to crash on me but a couple plug ins for it has cause it to lock up from time to time.

     

    So who else out there is using it now or gave it a run?

    Edited by wagsy
  2. i couldn't figure out how to actually suck in video with it.... haven't touched it since..

     

    Thinking maybe I don't have something installed for the computer to recognize the hdv...

     

    and it took so long to download that trial too...

  3. Did you plug your firewire cable into the camera Mike :ninja:

    Here is the my crazy jigsaw puzzle...lots of graphics in there.

     

    post-4240-1186143546_thumb.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  4. Sorry guys...Looks like I'm stepping into the DARKSIDE :P

     

    MAC & FCS2 :ninja:

     

    Some things have got to be done.

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  5. Did you plug your firewire cable into the camera Mike :wacko:

    Here is the my crazy jigsaw puzzle...lots of graphics in there.

     

    post-4240-1186143546_thumb.jpg

     

     

    :ninja::P

  6. Purely on your reccomendation I've switched. Can't actually say switched, per se, because I just started in video....

     

    Whew. It's a learning curve for sure, but stable as can be.

     

    All the best, James

  7. 4.5 that is coming out is more user friendly.

     

    Mike to import you have to tell it to import a DV or HDV feed. It can do either and it does not matter what type of timeline you are in. It also comes with self running programs called DV capture that can pull up to 3 firewire feeds at the same time and MPEG capture for HDV capture.

  8. Sorry guys...Looks like I'm stepping into the DARKSIDE :wacko:

     

    MAC & FCS2 :P

     

     

    DeanB

     

     

    Welcome Luke :ninja:

  9. nope, i mean the computer only recognizes the camera in DV mode, not in HDV...

  10. James are you editing DV or HDV with it?

     

    Mike you have not got your settings correct in your camera.

    Turn off down convert to DV and put it on HDV when in VCR mode.

     

    If I did have a MAC and FCP, I don't think I could of edited these projects like I have so easy without alot of rendering. In this one there was 50 megs PSD files that I placed straight onto the timeline and key framed around the place no problems in real time and in other places many layers of PSD graphics key framed on top of each other. Using the plugin Heroglyph I was able to achieve moving lines on graphics in real time.

     

    Thinking about it, we have a huge amount of 4.3 archive that we can now use with 16.9 to create future Multimedia projects so easy.

     

    Had to install & fire up Premiere Pro 2 last night to finish off a 1 year old project for a customer last night.

    Could not even get it to overlay to my TV and it then crashed on me :ninja::P

     

    Here is abit of a list of what 4.5 will include.

     

     

    ..................................

    User Interface

     

    * New design

     

     

    New Format Support

     

    * DVCPRO HD 720 59.94p/23.98p (over 59.94p) over HD-SDI (for EDIUS HD systems with HDBX1000 Multi-I/O)

     

    * P2 AVC-Intra Import (also requires AVC-Intra plug-in option)

    * Native AVCHD Import

    * Sony HDV 1080 24p/25p/30p support (HVR-V1J)

    * Sony HVR-DR60 import / direct support (patent pending)

    * JVC HDV 720 59.94p/50p support

     

     

    AAF Support

     

    * AAF import/export support (designed for use with Digidesign ProTools and Adobe After Effects)

     

     

    Segment Encoding

     

    * Smart rendering for SD MPEG-2, XDCAM HD and HDV

    * 480i, 576i and 1080i format only (720p, and Speed Encoder not supported)

     

     

    New Output Options

     

    * Export to DVD with menus

    * Dolby Digital export

    * Batch export

    Edited by wagsy
  11. haha.. i know that Wags. Thats why i know it doesn't recognize HDV...

     

    I don't have enough ram anyways so doesn't matter. Getting a new puter soon...

     

    Then i will figure it out

  12. I am using Edius now for 8 months and i am verry happy with it.

  13. Wagsy, I'm just editing DV, since that's all we can shoot with an X-Scooter right now.

     

    I'm sniffing around for a class - all the TV station shooters I chat with while at events (BTW, all the stations in our area are 100% Edius) kind of shrug about classes, and I get the impression they pick it up by osmosis or something.

     

    Probabally the hardest thing for me right now is figuring out the significance of the output settings/format/etc.

     

    All the best, James

  14. Well that makes 3 of us now :ninja:

     

    They are making a new tutorial for 4.5 but here are three links you can check out that may help you.

     

    Tutorial 1

     

    Tutorial 2

     

    And some more stuff here

     

    What kind of output files are you trying to achieve?

    Edited by wagsy
  15. Well for those that want it

    EDIUS 4.5 is now out and its a FREE upgrade to all with Version 4.

    Click here to get it.

     

    It has many new things including a Batch Exporter to export multiple target files from the timeline like WMV HD, QT/H.264 and MPEG2 DVD...set it going and walk away. :)

  16. Interesting... I might have to give Edius another look.

     

    Initially, I wasn't fond of the user interface as I was with Premiere 2.0 but the flexibility in the exporting might sway me back to Edius. Maybe when I get back from Cocos, I'll try to play with Edius more...

  17. It does take abit to find your way around but look out when you get past that stage.

     

    Downloaded it, installed it and just kept editing... :)

     

    I got audio AC3 Dolby out now for DVD's and can even author with menus, chapters and burn straight to a DVD from the timeline itself :)

     

    I have another old project I'm working on with Premiere Pro 2 and I hate it...I will try to AAF it to EDIUS.

     

    330kb 1.1 pic

    post-4240-1186586615_thumb.jpg

     

    51kb

    DVD

    post-4240-1186587329_thumb.jpg

    Edited by wagsy
  18. Hi guys

    Just found this thread. I am a fully paid up member of the Edius v4.51 camp. Still in the conversion process from PP to Edius but so far all going well. As Wagsy has mentioned once or twice, capturing and editing HDV and SD is all very straightforward.

    There are a few editing differences to PP which have caused a bit of head scratching but the sources of information on the net have rescued me to date.

    A new season of dailies kicks off in a couple of months so I'm hoping to have my titles, shortcuts, templates and workflows in order by then.

    I'm anticipating the whole workflow will be more straightforward from shooting through to dvd burn and archiving.

    Meanwhile... does everybody have a head full of projects and not enough time?

     

    cheers

    Simon

  19. Hi Simon

    Good to see a few more users out there. :)

    No doubt you can cut up dailies really quick once you have your templates sorted out.

    Use the AC3 for audio as only PAL DVD's can play the MPEG audio. AC3 audio will work for both PAL and NTSC and EDIUS can export either format rather well.

     

    Keyframing graphics around the place can be abit strange at first but once you know away you go.

    Once you get good you will leave Prem Pro for dead.

     

    More and more broadcast editors are starting to use it.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.