Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Choosing a stock agent

Started by Stubby ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Choosing a stock agent

4 posts
  1. G'day All

     

    I think I'm at the stage now where I am getting a high enough volume of good quality images to consider selling through a stock agent. There seems to be an overwhelming choice of them out there and I'd appreciate some advice.

     

    How can I tell that a prospective agent is a good one? What sort of standard conditions should I accept with respect to fees, copyright etc?

     

    My research so far has turned up another consideration. Do I choose an agent that:

     

    1) stocks (and therefore, presumably sells) a high number of underwater images; or

     

    2) does not presently stock many underwater images. My plan here would be that there will be less competition with other underwater photographers within the agency, so any underwater images sold are more likely to be mine.

     

    As you can probably tell, I'm a newcomer to this and would be grateful for any tips you can throw my way.

     

    Cheers

     

    Matt

  2. There are so many good images in the stock agencies that are known for u/w work that I think you will have a struggle. I've just seen a commissioned article with images that are less exciting and technically the same as a set that I've had on file with a UK agency from the same site. Like many things, I think it's down to who you know...

     

    ... but good luck!

     

    This is one image in question:

     

    post-4522-1186227852_thumb.jpg

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  3. Thanks Tim for sharing your experience. I'm leaning towards trying my luck with a stock agent that doesn't currently stock underwater images. Your experience is reinforcing that view.

     

    Matt

  4. hi matt,

     

    yes ... do that. i had the same experience. i gave some images to a stockagent, that has almost no uw images. i put there like 20 images online. in 4 months i sold already some. it is not so much ... but also it is not much work an they also can be sold again and again.

     

    i did put images that differ a lot from each other ... the ones that sold: shark & turtle & anemonefish :)

     

    good luck!

     

    serge

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.