Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Another Image Storage Option

Started by IMSushi ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Another Image Storage Option

11 posts
  1. I have reread some of the threads on RAW format storage if you don't have room to bring your laptop. The Epson P-5000 is another option with an LCD screen for reviewing your pictures. For $400 USD your can get 30 GB Creative Zen Vision W or for an extra $100 the 60 GB version. The screen display is beautiful, 4.3 in. 480x272 widescreen in 262,000 colors, and the controls aren't too difficult to use. The 30 and 60 GB iPod Videos are also attractive, but everything I've read about them is that they are truely slow.

     

    The salesman at the store said, "sure it will play RAW photos!", but I can't find any info on the web site. Has anyone tried the Vision W for storage?

  2. I have reread some of the threads on RAW format storage if you don't have room to bring your laptop. The Epson P-5000 is another option with an LCD screen for reviewing your pictures. For $400 USD your can get 30 GB Creative Zen Vision W or for an extra $100 the 60 GB version. The screen display is beautiful, 4.3 in. 480x272 widescreen in 262,000 colors, and the controls aren't too difficult to use. The 30 and 60 GB iPod Videos are also attractive, but everything I've read about them is that they are truely slow.

     

    The salesman at the store said, "sure it will play RAW photos!", but I can't find any info on the web site. Has anyone tried the Vision W for storage?

     

    I'd be kind of doubtful that those can really read RAW camera formats - there's also a RAW graphics format that's not at all the same thing.

     

    You can't view on it, but why not something like an auto-backup card reader / drive for half the price? I have no experience with these but a quick search turned up:

     

    http://www.digitalfoci.com/photo_safe.html

     

    This can't "read" RAW files - it just copies whatever's on the card to the HDD, e.g. images the data. In that regard I guess the IPOD etc. does have a storage mode which probably works the same way, and can also be used for music etc. if you have room left over. But I think you've got to be hooked to a computer to get to the storage space; I don't think it will transfer over USB from another device....

  3. rtrski, thanks for the response. I guess what I'm really looking for is something I can review photos with, and delete the realy bad ones, while still staying really portable. I don't have a capable laptop and frankly, I don't want to carry one around. I don't want to edit my photos while on a live aboard trip, I'll do that at home. But, I need more that a plain storage device like a hard drive. I am looking for the best solution to off load my memory cards from the days worth of shooting and quickly review my picts. I can set the camera to record both RAW and High Res. JPEG's.

  4. I think the only ones that actually display RAW data are the JOBO and the new Canon.

     

    My understanding is that the P5000 fakes it...it extracts a jpeg from the RAW and displays that. Apart from this issue, which I have never really found to be a problem as such, I have found the P5000 to be excellent so far.

     

    BTW the P5000's OS resides on the HDD, so if you have a HDD crash you can't simply replace the drive, whereas the JOBO and the Canon have the OS off the HDD.

  5. If you don't have a laptop with you I'll recommended on a device that you can actually see the images, raw or thumbnail jog in the raw file, doesn't really mother as long as you can verify the images are there and where backup.

    I'm talking from a bad experience with a simple device that at the trip shown that the images where copied into the HD but when I got home I discovered that it was overwritten every day images by the next day's images. After the heart attacked I restore most of the images but It's wasn't one of my best days.

  6. I personally prefer at least SOME way to see the images. On one dive trip I was diving w/ a loaner camera and the photos looked great on the back of the camera. But when I opened them on my laptop later, I found out that they were all way underexposed. It turns out the camera's rear LCD screen was turned way up...

     

    The same goes for checking focus. Sometimes a shot looks like it's in focus, but when you look closely, it's not.

     

    Cheers

    James

  7. Yep, I'm one of those that likes to have a good look at my pics while I'm on my dive vacation. I shoot RAW and if I don't have my trusty VAIO with me, I use an Epson P2000. I must admit that I have no clue how it displays RAW files - but it does. (I can't figure out how colour TV works either but I'm happy to watch it). The Epsons have a cracking screen, can move through picture files pretty quickly and are easy to transport.

  8. So, with the Epson P-2000/3000/5000, you don't have to shoot in both JPEG and RAW, just RAW?

     

    Will the Epson be Mac compatible?

     

    Thanks!

  9. So, with the Epson P-2000/3000/5000, you don't have to shoot in both JPEG and RAW, just RAW?

     

    Will the Epson be Mac compatible?

     

    Thanks!

     

    It depends on which camera you shoot with. My p5000 can view RAWS from my Nikon d200 and my Canon EOS1ds MKII, but it can't view from the RAW from my original Canon EOS1ds. Not sure of other cameras.

     

    I use mine with my mac. It is a USB2.0 interface.

  10. I'll be using it with my Nikon D80.

     

    Thanks for the response. This gives me a little more confidence that this is what I need. Now, can I convince my wife?

  11. I have reread some of the threads on RAW format storage if you don't have room to bring your laptop. The Epson P-5000 is another option with an LCD screen for reviewing your pictures. For $400 USD your can get 30 GB Creative Zen Vision W or for an extra $100 the 60 GB version. The screen display is beautiful, 4.3 in. 480x272 widescreen in 262,000 colors, and the controls aren't too difficult to use. The 30 and 60 GB iPod Videos are also attractive, but everything I've read about them is that they are truely slow.

     

    The salesman at the store said, "sure it will play RAW photos!", but I can't find any info on the web site. Has anyone tried the Vision W for storage?

    According to the Zen Vision specifications they only support JPEG. Many kinds of video but only jpeg. The EPSON 2000 does allow you to see the Canon 20D raw but you can't zoom or scroll so it might be an extract from the raw. IMHO the Epson is also truly slow for downloads, but fast enough in viewer mode.

    Bill

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.