Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Who am I, part 2

Started by stormgrabberjr ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Who am I, part 2

3 posts
  1. Another one, out and about during the day in Roatan. This was about 6-8" long.

     

    Thanks

    post-12100-1186463344_thumb.jpg

  2. That's a polychaete - a type of worm. Polychaete means many bristles. Some people call them bristleworms.

     

    I have no idea what species.

  3. That's the bearded fireworm Hermodice carunculata. These big showy worms are loaded with defensive weapons which is why they can be out & around in the open during the day. The upper set of setae (bristles) on these guys are harpoon-shaped with multiple backward-pointing barbs, made of glass & very brittle. They easily break off & embed themselves in a predator's skin, releasing a toxin that accounts for the name fireworm.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.