Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Recommendations for a freediver

Started by surfspearo ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Recommendations for a freediver

3 posts
  1. Am looking to house a Canon 5D in the most streamlined set-up possible to use during freediving. Mostly planning on shooting wide-angle of pelagics from the surface to 100 ft depth range. Housings I currently use are designed for shooting surf photography and thus are useless below 12 feet and am not educated well enough with the dive housing community to know what my best bet would be...Am leaning towards an Ikelite with the 8 inch dome sans strobes to keep her clean but would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone might feel would be appropriate...thanks!

  2. I don’t think it will be the most streamlined setup, but I don’t think any rig will be really streamlined, especially with a large dome.

     

    Maybe its wise to consider buoyancy of the housing setup as well. The dome port helps to get things more neutral, but most compact housings tend to be heavy.

  3. Ikelite makes excellent housings but they are big, heavy and bulky. I think one of the aluminum form fitting housings (like my aquatica) would be much more streamlined. Some of the pricier brands, like subal, are even lighter but not much.

     

    The other option is an ewa marine "plastic bag" housing. I have never used one but i believe they make ones for digital slrs that can go to 150ft. Cheers,

     

    Chris

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.