I'm agonizing over which way to for digital photo back-up solutions while traveling and was wondering which way many of you folks have gone.
One option at the top of my list is the Hyperspace Drive. This thing looks like a decent, relatively inexpensive interface and harddrive for downloading flash cards without the need of a laptop. One nice thing is that this one uses user exchangable 2.5" laptop harddrives. So I could get two hardrives and have double redundancy for back-ups while on trips (rather than buying two expensive PSD). I definately would not trust a single harddrive with all my shots. It's also comparatively small, as I sometimes worry about airline weight and carry-on limits.... dive gear, regs, cameras, lenses, housing, ports, etc, etc... you all know that struggle.
The second option is a small laptop. I've really taken a liking to the Macbook Pro 15" laptop. I'm been a PC user forever, but have played with the MBP at the Apple store and it's quite slick, although pricey. It might be nice to download pics every day to a laptop, and browse through the better ones, check lighting, etc., in the evenings, in preparation for the next day. I'd still want an external drive though to keep a back-up copy of the laptop drive. I could also burn DVD's with the best shots as a tripple back-up. The 15" MBP is pretty small, but of course not as small or light as the Hyperspace drive. It's about 5.5 lbs. Some flights have a 44 lb limit.
So what do you guys do?
Thanks!