Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

graduated neutral density filters UW

Started by joeyfishes ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

graduated neutral density filters UW

15 posts
  1. Hi All

    Anyone using them underwater for sunbursts and or over under shots?Also anyone using a tripod to do 2 exposures one for the water and one for the foreground and than combining them in PS.

     

    I was pretty good at getting nice blue water and sunbursts with slides but am finding that with digital it is way more complicted. With slides for a sun burst I would wind up with 90 sec at f 16 or 22. With digital I am winding up with shutter speeds in the 300-600 range and than it still looks funky (the reef goes black and the forground is harder to lite as the shutter speed is cutting the length of the flash. I would love to see some digital sunbursts you all like and learn how you all did it

     

     

    Thanks

     

     

    joeyfishes

    post-9620-1187185390_thumb.jpg

  2. Berkley White from Backscatter has used Grad ND filters underwater. He offered a setup where you could mount one on your fisheye lens and spin it using the zoom gear on your housing. Pretty cool. You can see some samples on the Backscatter page.

     

    I thought about making one for a while to help w/ the sunbursts but never followed through w/ it.

     

    The reason that the exposure is different than film is that the digital sensor has a linear response to light. Film has a non-linear response curve, so the highlights don't burn in as much as they "should."

     

    James

  3. Berkley White from Backscatter has used Grad ND filters underwater. He offered a setup where you could mount one on your fisheye lens and spin it using the zoom gear on your housing. Pretty cool. You can see some samples on the Backscatter page.

     

    I thought about making one for a while to help w/ the sunbursts but never followed through w/ it.

     

    The reason that the exposure is different than film is that the digital sensor has a linear response to light. Film has a non-linear response curve, so the highlights don't burn in as much as they "should."

     

    James

     

     

     

    Thanks James .wondering if you could explain the linear vs non-linear to a technically impaired person :)

     

     

    Thanks

     

     

    Joe

  4. Berkley White from Backscatter has used Grad ND filters underwater. He offered a setup where you could mount one on your fisheye lens and spin it using the zoom gear on your housing. Pretty cool. You can see some samples on the Backscatter page.

     

    hi james

     

    can you give me a link to this setup? i did not fint it at backscatter but would very much like to have a peek at it...

     

    thx!

    zook

  5. Probably the best actual image of this system to be found anywhere on the intarweb at the moment is on Wetpixel, of all places :P

     

    Backscatter Neutral Density System

     

    There's even some conversation between James and myself about advantages/disadvantages of the gradient placement. James said he was going to give this a try with his 1DS... did we ever see the results of your experiments James?

  6. I spoke to backscatter and they are gonna make me one for my Ike housing. I will keep you all posted on how it works out

     

     

     

    joeyfishes

  7. I spoke to backscatter and they are gonna make me one for my Ike housing. I will keep you all posted on how it works out

    joeyfishes

    What lens & port are you planning to use? Its will be interested me also with my Ike setup

    Edited by Arnon_Ayal
  8. What lens & port are you planning to use? Its will be interested me also with my Ike setup

     

     

     

    I am gonna use a sigma 15mm fisheye and an 8" Aquatica/Ikelite port. They need the camera port and lens and focus gear to build the gizmo. I will keep you all posted on how it turns out. Ease of use etc

     

     

     

    Joe

  9. Keep us posted Joe - sounds interesting.

  10. Keep us posted Joe - sounds interesting.

     

     

     

    Will do. I am gonna send it all in as soon as I get my dome back from Jean at Aquatica (in for a repaire)

     

     

    jd

  11. Any news on your dome Joe?

  12. Interesting stuff! this brings up following idea:

     

    camera manufacturers could implement some sort of "grad filter emulation" into their designs, meaning parts of the sensor switch to a gradated lower light sensitivity. I imagine that we could save a few custom emulations, and each can be rotated. That would allow us to do "normal" shots, together with sunburts, on the same dive!

  13. Any news on your dome Joe?

     

    Got sidetracked. But am gonna send it in next week

     

     

    jd

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.