Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Installing the Inon (D2000)W9 Optical Cable on PT-020

Started by JackiBriggs ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Installing the Inon (D2000)W9 Optical Cable on PT-020

6 posts
  1. I would appreciate any suggestions on setting up the Inon D2000 Strobe & Optical Cable on the PT-020 Housing (Oly 5060).

     

    I recently purchased for my dad, and we are off the Curacao on Saturday, and having a difficult time installing the Optical Cable. No instructions came with the cable, but we assume after connecting the one piece to the actual strobe, the other piece with 2 small screws gets connected to the plastic front the diffuser holding?

     

    We are following the instructions for the 3 layer film layers - and assume that is affixed to the actual camera flash (not the strobe).

     

    I found one comprehensive cheat sheet on inon Japanese site, that we are basing these assumptions on.

     

    Also -Any suggestings on the actual camera settings (Apeture vs. shutter prirority)?

     

    Up until this point he has done ~100 dives with the standard internal camera flash, so i hope the learning curve isnt to sharp for this trip, otherwise I will be to blame.

     

    Thx in advance.

    - Jacki Briggs

  2. Jacki, I hope this helps you out!

     

    What I have done is stripped about 1/2 inch (1.5cm) of insulation off of the free end of the fiber optic cable. Put the stripped end into one of the holes on top of the angled reflector piece (with the two small screws) so the bare fiber just barely protrudes out the other end near the stainless steel reflector. Now, tighten down the lock nut so the fiber cannot be pulled out of the reflector. Now, just unscrew the two small screws so it will fit over your housing's flash diffuser and tighten so it cannot be pulled out of position. Your done!

     

    As far as the UV film goes, it gets stuck directly on the camera, not on the housing, over the flash. This serves two purposes: 1) It will block any stray light from leaving your camera to cause backscatter and 2) it converts the light from the flash to Ultra Violet light that will be picked up by the strobe via the recently installed fiber optic cable.

     

    Again, as I said, I hope this helps and makes sense. If not, write back.

  3. Doesn't your housing have a direct connector for strobes so you don't have to use a fiberoptic cable? Maybe Inon doesn't make a cable with your type of connector so you had to go with fiberoptic? I know my situation, but am a little unfamiliar with your specific housing.

  4. also

    the clear film strip goes onto the camera flash 1st then the dark strip over the top of this strip

    then the little letter box strip holds them on to the flash

     

    apparently the clear strip stops the flash heating the dark strip up which stops it from melting/sticking to the flash

  5. Oh! Mine didn't come with a clear strip? Humm.

  6. Oh! Mine didn't come with a clear strip? Humm.

    I suggest you download all the PDF docs available from the Inon website which are acssociated with the D-2000. Lots of good pictures from other fittings for other UW cases, too.

    http://inonamerica.com/products.php?produc...=1&subcat=5

    I had to rig a little plastic arm that I could mount to my Canon WP-DC8/A630 UW case, then I clamped the Inon Cap wxx that I happened to have from a prior UW case.

    Good luck,

    Tom E.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.