Here is a link to some videos from my 1 week trip to Roatan in the Caribbean. This was my 1st time with the camcorder and housing UW. Everything shot without lights, MWB. Closeups shot with flip diopter.
Hosted on Stage6 Divx. Not full resolution HD, but still pretty good for internet viewing.
I am a hobbyist and vacation diver, so forgive my camera and editing skills.
Thanks Ron. Nice job on the soundtrack and voice over. Did you do much color correction? DivX does a nice job. I ask about the color correction because you really crushed the blacks in a few of those clips. I like that alot. Was it DivX or you who did that?
So did you crush those blacks or not Ron? Or haven't you got the foggiest what Drew's on about?
Those are some cool videos, especially for your first time with the rig underwater. Nice white balance and personally I couldn't see much noise on the low-light stuff. Looks like the FX7 is a good U/W camera. Also a nice choice of music and I like the little sections of voiceover.
So did you crush those blacks or not Ron? Or haven't you got the foggiest what Drew's on about?
Yeah, tell us about the blacks, it was very impressive !
HCA
Well done...apart from wobble wobble.... they were nice clips.
A single CMOS camera will not handle blacks like that in dark places thats for sure.
Divx is sharper than WMV or Flash..might give it ago again.
Let's all guess:
I say either PP CINEMA or CINEMATONEGAMMA on. Contrast enhancer OFF. As well as DIVx compression.
So did you crush those blacks or not Ron? Or haven't you got the foggiest what Drew's on about?
Whaddya mean? Everybody understands what I'm on about most times.
Once again, all Im hearing is:
Blah de blah, blah, wibble dribble nibble de fibble...
Dive safe
Dean(crushed blacks..What is he like)B
I guess you guys are on a different time zone than me. Because I never seem to be online when you guys are.
OK, contrast enhancer was on, cinematonegamma off.
I did boost contrast on certain clips in Vegas. I am now fine tuning the editing and actually am bring the contrast back down on some clips because they looked too punchy.
If someone can name a specific clip or clips I will post the raw m2t and also the divx conversion.
Ah so it was done in post. What's wrong with punchy? Punchy goooood!
I particularly liked the crushed blacks in the swim-through scenes. But I only watched it once and it did seem like you even masked the shadow areas at first.
Thanks again.
I don't recall doing any changes on the swimthroughs other than trimming. Camera auto gain limit was set to 6db.
Here is a clip, no correction except trimmed in vegas, rendered to m2t. The original raw file is way too long and large.
I picked this clip because it was a continuous shot going from well lit to dark to show how the camera produces color and reacts to changing light.