Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Calibrating 2 monitors

Started by loftus ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Calibrating 2 monitors

11 posts
  1. I have just acquired a second monitor. I have added a 20" Apple to my 23" Apple monitor. Both flat screen. 23" purchased about 6 months ago.

    I use Spyder 2 for calibration, and use the same parameters, 1.8 Gamma (recommended by Apple) and 6500K white point.

    The monitors are close in appearance but not exact. Anybody have any ideas how to make the screens appear exactly the same?

    Edited by loftus
  2. switch primary monitor and calibrate, switch back and calibrate. if you video card supports dual dvi...you are set. for more exacting measures, calibrate with video color bars.

    Edited by shawnh
  3. I have mostly the same setup and couldn't get hte spyder to work even with back and forth calibration. I ended up with an eye-one and now both are as close as I can see visually.

    Bill

  4. Sorry...i use the Eye-One as welll...perhaps that is why it works.

  5. Thanks guy's. That sucks that the Spyder does not have the facility to synch two monitors. I have managed to get them pretty close (I have a dual DVI MacPro), but not identical.

    On the other hand it also means that the Spyder is not spot on from calibration to calibration, as the whole point of the excercise is for monitors to look the same every time.

  6. Correct...hoping for science but ending yet again in art. I have a neat little solution i am using now that has removed much of this fuzzy area. I'll be posting a review shortly...only applicable to Mac folks though.

  7. Correct...hoping for science but ending yet again in art. I have a neat little solution i am using now that has removed much of this fuzzy area. I'll be posting a review shortly...only applicable to Mac folks though.

     

    what calibration software are U using?

  8. I have just received a fairly complex process for synching two monitors with Spyder from tech support. I will give it a try and report back.

  9. Just an update;

    I've suspected for a while that the accuracy of the old Spyder colorimeter I had could be an issue, so I purchased a Colormunki. Price was good, they came down $100 at my camera store plus a $50 manufacturer rebate till September. That's $249.

    Well, the color match of the monitors is much better now with Colormunki - slightly different contrast which I suspect is just intrinsic to the monitors, but overall pretty good.

    Edited by loftus
  10. I have a Colormunki. Even with my lack of ability to color match I get good results with it.

  11. There was also a problem with 20' and 23' apple monitors

    we had problems calibrating them in my work

     

    Driving prepress tech guys nuts :D showing them different vis on monitors just after the calibration for our magazine ;)

     

    but remember there is still a conversion between RGB and CMYK :) we just wanted to have similar colors on different monitors with the same macs

     

    when we switched DTP computers to apple 30' and Eizo, problem disappeared

     

    weeks afterwards I've talked with my friend from Apple Dealer and he said something that it is completely different construction and that 30' works in different way than smaller apple monitors there was something about color depth and quality of lcd itself

     

    there is a difference in 30' backlighting white point too if i remember well.

     

    But still using CRT where it really matters.

    Edited by dzwiad
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.