Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Research help with switch from film to digital

Started by sandyrobinson ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Research help with switch from film to digital

6 posts
  1. Hey all,

     

    For 24 years, I have been using my Nikonos IV with a wide angle adapter or extension tubes. Normally, the only change I made in the water was the flash power or distance and maybe an f-stop. Otherwise, I preset everything so I kept it simple (which I do mind changing). I have decided to retire the Nikonos (hope it forgives me) and explore the digital world. Can any of you name any resources that will improve my knowledge (which is now zero) in the digital area. I have been researching online resources from this site but I would like to have some written sources that I can read, touch, and make notes.

     

    Also, I found an online instruction series by Marty Snyderman. If anyone has used this, did you find it beneficial?

     

    In advance, thanks for your help.

  2. >> I like the Fiji F31fd but I'm a big landscape photographer and the lens is not wide

    >> enough for my comfort and there is no option to attach other lenses.

     

     

    Here are my few poor notes on uw digital basics.

     

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...thread=24867785

     

    In all likelyhood I think most of this is old hat for you but perhaps a little bit might be useful. I used to dive w/ a Nikonos II w/ III flash port mod and big frigg'n ikelite strobe. I couldn't be happier w/ the results I get w/ a tiny compact.

     

    Just make sure that you get a camera that can do custom white balance while in its case - Canon, Olympus and Fuji compacts can do this. And most of these can also take the Inon attachable lens (the wide angle can even be used above water).

     

    Good luck!

     

    Jeff

  3. You have to decide what dollar range you want to go, for what quality of photos.

     

    DSLRs have infinitely superior autofocus systems. This is a major advantage, underwater. But they also cost more, and weigh more, and the housings cost way way more, compared to Nikonos IV. And they are more complicated than P&S to setup with ports and so on.

     

     

     

    For general digital camera info, reviews, and so on, these 2 are good:

     

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

     

    http://dpreview.com/

     

    Currently, the best two P&S seems to be the canon G9, and the Ricoh GX100, (sea&sea DX-1G). Both do RAW mode. Both do video. Both have slow autofocus, in dim light, especially when objects are close in macro mode! So, you'll need a focus assist light more often than with a DSLR.

     

    Neither camera has an autofocus system that can touch my old sony V3.

     

    Technology staggers on. One of these days, they'll accidentally put out a near perfect P&S camera for underwater use. Hold your breath!

  4. Can any of you name any resources that will improve my knowledge (which is now zero) in the digital area. I would like to have some written sources that I can read, touch, and make notes.

     

    Sandy,

    I'm in the same boat using some version of a nikonos since 71. I feel your pain. I've been studying up for the last two years and I'm getting comfortable with digital. The best resource I found was Martin Edge's book "The Underwater Photographer Third Edition" Martin does a great job of comparing film techniques and new digital opportunities I hadn't even thought of. It may be the best book on the techniques of underwater photography ever written. I know it's the best I've ever read. Go get it. Amazon has it. Make sure you get the newest version produced in 2006. Good luck!

    Dive Safe,

    Steve

  5. Hey guys, a belated thank you for your feedback.

     

    Sandy

  6. Sandy,

     

    If you're considering a compact digital camera you will be frustrated by slow auto focus and increased blur towards the edges (Compared to the Nikonos). Digital SLR overcomes both of these problems.........depending on the lens and port combination.

     

    I ended up using my Coolpix 5000 like a Nikonos with fixed manual focus and macro framers to overcome the slow auto focus problem but eventually got sick of the poor sharpness and chromatic abberations (CA) towards the edge of the frame.

     

    However you will be excited about the instant results and feedback that digital gives. Makes UW photography much more fun. Just imagine being able to shoot 36 shots of one subject then move on to another one.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.