Another noob.
I am acquiring a modest digital underwater setup and would like to add a simple/affordable strobe to improve my photos. I am not looking to go too deep with this (50-60'), primarily when I have the opportunity for carribean dives, and I am assuming that nothing I get in this price range will allow me to take decent shots beyond about 5 feet. Macro and fish portraits will be most of what I will be snapping. In the future, I may upgrade to higher end gear but would like to do some entry stuff for a while.
If anyone has experience with these units or cares to offer a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it. That includes "application" info, like with all of these units should I expect significant scatter from particles, being that all have very short arms?
(My camera is a Canon G7 with the Canon WP-DC11 housing)
Barring a lucky opportunity to find something excellent in this price range on Ebay, the following are what i have found in the ~$200 price range.
Sunpak G-Flash: (I found a place that seems to have a few left). Have heard that this slave flash packs a lot of punch for its price and size, includes fixed arm in the ~$200 price. Have also heard that it may have a limited life (perhaps seal is not as good as better units). Due to discontinued nature of the product and its relative scarcity, service of this unit is probably out of the question if something goes awry.
Fantasea Nano: Looks very compact and lightweight, flexible (but short) arm a plus. Have heard that it doesn't have much power, might be okay to help some macro shots but not much else. ~$200 with flexible arm and optic cable.
Sea & Sea SL-960: read some positive reviews on this unit. Most expensive of the three. Short flexible arm. ~$250. (By the way can I use the old SL-960, which I might get for cheap, or do I need the newer "SL-960D" unit to be compatible with my Canon case? Are the two units really the same?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim