Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

To collect or not to collect?

Started by Islandbound ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

To collect or not to collect?

6 posts
  1. I am looking for some guidance to help me think through whether or not its ok to salvage memorabilia found in the sand and reef. I would not take a bell or a wheel or porthole from a warship or diving spot but what about things found in the sand nowhere near to anything? Is taking something lost in time by a person ok to keep if I find it? What about uninhabited shells? Just trying to work out what I should do as I see things in the ocean.

     

    Thanks!

  2. Leave only bubbles take only memories. (and or pictures) :rolleyes:

  3. It´s strange that people are allowed to take hundreds of lobsters and fish while scubadiving but not a bell or whatever humanmade things not supposed to be there. If you you find coins or whatever go ahead and collect them or Odyssey Marine Exploration will come and won´t ask... :rolleyes:

  4. Interesting topic... I am for removing "alien" things from the bottom of the ocean, but be aware that many countries have strong laws against that, especially if they have any historical value.

    Edited by Rocha
  5. I would have to go along with the old mantra of: take pictures, leave bubbles.....

     

    but some rare find that I see in a place that it has no business being, I might remove it...this has never happened but I think I would depending on what is.....

     

    on the other hand; shells, sand dollars, urchins, and coral - no matter what its state, I leave it where it is...mainly because if I think it looks cool, the next diver may as well and so it stays in its home

     

    though, living in Hawaii I am always very surprised how much coral, shells, etc, I see in places such as the swap-meet and other areas on the islands being sold to tourist, especially when there is so much talk of environmentalism in this area.

  6. I would research local laws on subject, but TAKE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIVING OR THAT WAS LIVING. Million dollars in gold sure...

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.