Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Sony announce Vegas Pro 8

Started by Nick Hope ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Sony announce Vegas Pro 8

7 posts
  1. Sony Vegas Pro version 8 is out today (9-10-07), and at an upgrade discount for existing users (yeah!, $100 off regular ugrade for a limited time, I'm ordering my copy when I get home).

     

    Sony Upgrage link for existing users

  2. Sony Vegas Pro version 8 is out today (9-10-07), and at an upgrade discount for existing users (yeah!, $100 off regular ugrade for a limited time, I'm ordering my copy when I get home).

     

    Sony Upgrage link for existing users

     

    After making myself learn the Vegas way of editing, I've become a complete convert to Vegas. I just got Vegas Pro 8 and have to say the 32bit mode for editing saved a small project I did that was shot in marginal lighting (Oregon Coast Aquarium). Using the 32bit editing mode gave me the option to color correct and boost contrast/brightness when the available light conditions couldn't get any better.

     

    I'm even selling off my Adobe Video Production Suite in the classified section so anyone interested in making an offer, please let me know - I also will include the Total Training for Premiere Pro and Audition DVD's as well as Transfer of license.

  3. Yesterday Sony released Vegas Pro 8.0a, the first bugfix release.

     

    Smart rendering is now rock solid, which is great for archiving HDV m2t files (no more messing about with complex scripts to get footage into Womble MPEG Video Wizard).

     

    Also the performance of HDV m2t files on the timeline is really zippy. I'm getting full frame best quality 25fps playback and trimming is super-responsive. No need for Cineform intermediate AVI files or anything.

     

    So far the dreaded "black frames" issue seems to be fixed too.

     

    The main issue that still remains is the stability of the new 32-bit mode. But 8-bit mode is fine until they address that.

     

    I really recommend this NLE. It's better than ever -_-

  4. Yesterday Sony released Vegas Pro 8.0a, the first bugfix release.

     

    Smart rendering is now rock solid, which is great for archiving HDV m2t files (no more messing about with complex scripts to get footage into Womble MPEG Video Wizard).

     

    Also the performance of HDV m2t files on the timeline is really zippy. I'm getting full frame best quality 25fps playback and trimming is super-responsive. No need for Cineform intermediate AVI files or anything.

     

    So far the dreaded "black frames" issue seems to be fixed too.

     

    The main issue that still remains is the stability of the new 32-bit mode. But 8-bit mode is fine until they address that.

     

    I really recommend this NLE. It's better than ever :)

     

    Although I'm still shooting with my pair of TRV950's, I'm now editing almost completely in 32bit float mode and VP8 has been rock solid. Looks like SONY has another winner in this release.

     

    Hopefully the transition to HDV when I make it will be as smooth as this version of Vegas Pro 8.

  5. Are you finding render times with 32bit mode a lot longer ? I can see an improvement with 32 bit, but the render times are riduculous compared to 8.

  6. Are you finding render times with 32bit mode a lot longer ? I can see an improvement with 32 bit, but the render times are riduculous compared to 8.
    The renders do take longer, but for those needing the additional range that 32 bit color offers, it's well worth it. Also, Vegas Pro 8 can fully utilize all the cores on a quad core processor and utilize them all up to about 90-95% from my understanding. I still use a dual core AMD processor with x64 XP Pro and Vegas Pro 8 pegs my CPU at almost 100%, something I didn't see with Premiere Pro.

     

    I'm awaiting AMD's release of their Phenom processors sometime in the next couple of months since my motherboard is AM2 socket, which the new Quad core Phenoms fit.

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.