Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

AIC timeline to QT

Started by CamDiver ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

AIC timeline to QT

5 posts
  1. Hey guys,

    Having issues here again. Edited a short film. First time in AIC. Got everything on an AIC timeline, all renders complete and soundtracked etc. Set the I & O points and have tried so far unsuccessfully to export a complete film to the hard drive. It won't allow me to export a QT file as it keeps hanging, it rendered 50% of an AIC file and froze. When viewed the half done AIC file all the areas which had any filter applied would jump and distort all over the place.

     

    This is a relatively new machine:

     

    iMac G5

    2GHz

    2GB RAMM

    280GB Internal HDD, empty.

     

    It won't allow me to select View>External Monitor>All Frames otherwise I'd just make a copy straight from the timeline.

     

    Any ideas? For an AIC to be seen from the timeline to an external monitor what settings would you throw in to the A/V settings?

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  2. The inability select view all frames suggests you are running into a computing power issue.

     

    What format of QT movie are you exporting to? I would suggest exporting a "Quicktime Movie" vs "Quicktime Conversion" and using "Current Settings". As you know, this creates a FCP QT file. you can then use compressor to target a specific format.

     

    Also, look at your system hard-drive space. When rendering out a file, an intermediary file is created and cached on the hard-drive. This is real issue when rending out HD DVD files as you cannot change the preferred cache location to an ext drive....so keep some space on your system drive.

     

    You may also consider creating a duplicate sequence and trying to export from there...hail mary:)

     

    -shawn

  3. If it's crashing 1/2 way and the files are corrupted then your codec is probably corrupted. I would uninstall, then reinstall FCP and update. Also repair permissions and check your directory and harddisk for errors.

    As for workflow, render first then export as an independent .mov. Much easier. If none of this works then recapture your files and copy your work to a new project and sequence. Also try your autosave versions to see if it's not your FCP file that is corrupted.

  4. Starting a new day.....It could also be heat? I had been running the computer most of the day before wanting to make the final file yesterday.

     

    I came in this morning, first command was to make a file of the feature to AIC60i - It created the whole file in 6 minutes (the feature is 13 min 47sec).

     

    Just waiting now to see if it will write a HDV1080/60i file. So far so good @ 20% ..... will keep posted.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

  5. OK,

    So I managed to get an acceptable HDV1080/60i file converted out from the AIC1080/60i time line. I'm just in the process of converting a 50i master from that with Compressor. One point though is that I still cannot see the movie from an HDV time line on any external monitor? This is a major headache especially now as I have only 15 days to FedEx in the submission to Antibes! Yikes. I've sent a message asking whether or not I can just pit the file on a DVD disc as a QuickTime file for them to transport over to the HDD array they use to project the submissions with.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.