Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Flash problem

Started by ARanger ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Flash problem

5 posts
  1. The question I have is:

     

    I have a Canon G7 with an Ikelite housing and an Ikelite DS-125 strobe. I connected the camera to the strobe correctly with the wiring that came with the housing and the strobe. I turned the camera on and set it on "Auto," and turned the strobe on. The camera flash was set to "ON." When I took pictures the strobe fired as I expected. When I reviewed the pictures it was clear there was no flash lighting the subjects. It seems that the flash was out of sync with the camera shutter. I looked at the manuals for the strobe and camera but did not find any meaningful help on how to synchronize the two.

     

    Does anyone have any guidance on how this problem should be resolved? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

     

    Thanks.

  2. It seems that the flash was out of sync with the camera shutter

     

    Put the camera in shutter priority mode at 1/60 sec.

  3. Pre-flash might be doing a full dump instead of a micro flash.

     

    Try:

    -setting the strobe to 1/4 power (instead of TTL)

    -set camera to manual*: 1/60 second, f/8

    -flash aimed at subject

    -shoot image

     

    Possible results:

    -black image (sync problem)

    -subject illuminated by flash (pre-flash problem)

     

    *Note: the "auto" setting when underwater forces the camera to make dumb mistakes. Learn and use manual settings.

     

    Take Care,

    ChrisS

  4. Thanks for the help on this topic. I will test it in my living room this week and will have the opportunity to try it out the following weekend on a wreck dive.

     

    Again, thanks.

  5. Thanks for the help on this topic. I will test it in my living room this week and will have the opportunity to try it out the following weekend on a wreck dive.

     

    Again, thanks.

     

    Based upon the living room test the only camera setting with which the flash synchronizes properly is the full manual setting. The flash is still out of sync in the aperture and shutter speed priority settings. I would rather shoot in the manual setting so this is not a big issue for me - although I think it is an odd outcome when I am using supposedly compatible equipment, and I would like everything to work.

     

    Ikelite recommended that I set the camera to aperture priority because the electronics were not designed to work in the full auto setting - but, according to Ikelite, normally will work in the auto setting anyway. Otherwise, the company suggested there may be an electronics problem in the housing that needs to be repaired.

     

    When I did the living room test I used the full, 1/4 and 1/8 flash settings. Due to my own oversight I did not test the TTL flash setting.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.