Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Newbie Sealife DC600 question

Started by Aces ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Newbie Sealife DC600 question

3 posts
  1. My wife just purchased me a Sealife DC600 camera with the understanding that I could return it if I wanted something else. I have spent ALL day researching cameras and am now more confused about what to do than before.

     

    I had talked about a simple Optio SW or equivelant and stayed away because of the "waiting for the perfect camera" syndrome. My wife knows that I would use an water/dustproof camera and researched on her own and ended up with the DC600.

     

    We travel often and that puts us in Snorkling/beach/desert/snow/rain conditions. Although I am not an avid photog guy, I do like decent pictures. To stop the rambling... To those with experience, I was wondering what is your impression of the DC600 system as a on land and UW set up(I saw today on E-bay the DC600 elite system for $722 us, I don't know what she paid). We have a (I believe) Nikon 6MP camera for our point and shoot and was wondering if we are as well off getting a case for that.

     

    Any input would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

  2. My wife just purchased me a Sealife DC600 camera with the understanding that I could return it if I wanted something else. I have spent ALL day researching cameras and am now more confused about what to do than before.

     

    I had talked about a simple Optio SW or equivelant and stayed away because of the "waiting for the perfect camera" syndrome. My wife knows that I would use an water/dustproof camera and researched on her own and ended up with the DC600.

     

    We travel often and that puts us in Snorkling/beach/desert/snow/rain conditions. Although I am not an avid photog guy, I do like decent pictures. To stop the rambling... To those with experience, I was wondering what is your impression of the DC600 system as a on land and UW set up(I saw today on E-bay the DC600 elite system for $722 us, I don't know what she paid). We have a (I believe) Nikon 6MP camera for our point and shoot and was wondering if we are as well off getting a case for that.

     

    Any input would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

     

     

    Hi,

     

    I previously owned a DC500 made by Sea-Life and it took some decent pictures. If you already have a point and shoot camera with 6 MP, this will give you similar results. It does have different modes that you can set it on and my old camera (DC500) had video as well which was a bonus. It's a very versitile camera however it can't really compare to an SLR's quality and performance. You will need at least one strobe and you can purchase a variety of detachable lenses for the kit.

     

    I currently own a DSLR and love the type of pictures it takes BUT it came with a heafty price. I intended to spend a few thousand on my "used" set up and have now trippled that amount. :angry:

    I also dive probably once a month so I would think that would be a determining factor as well.

    If your satisfied with pretty good/solid pictures then the DC600 would be your best bet. The price tag isn't nearly as expensive as going the rout of a housed DSLR. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my camera and don't regret making the purchase but if "budget" is a concern when coupled with the amount of diving, the DC600 is a pretty good choice. If your looking for drop the ability to take dead georgeous photos, then a DSLR is the way to go because you can also use it in those "other" places that you might visit.

     

    Hope that helps

     

    Vance

  3. My wife just purchased me a Sealife DC600 camera with the understanding that I could return it if I wanted something else. I have spent ALL day researching cameras and am now more confused about what to do than before.

     

    I had talked about a simple Optio SW or equivelant and stayed away because of the "waiting for the perfect camera" syndrome. My wife knows that I would use an water/dustproof camera and researched on her own and ended up with the DC600.

     

    We travel often and that puts us in Snorkling/beach/desert/snow/rain conditions. Although I am not an avid photog guy, I do like decent pictures. To stop the rambling... To those with experience, I was wondering what is your impression of the DC600 system as a on land and UW set up(I saw today on E-bay the DC600 elite system for $722 us, I don't know what she paid). We have a (I believe) Nikon 6MP camera for our point and shoot and was wondering if we are as well off getting a case for that.

     

    Any input would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

     

     

    I used a DC500 when I worked in post Katrina New Orleans. I wanted a diving rig that would protect it from the dust and such down south. It is reasonably sized and coated in thick rubber, plus people look at it like it's a Hasselblad or something. The best part - it takes decent photos that are unaffected by the housing. I strongly recommend the wide angle lens for UW, I never tried it topside. The digital flash is adjustable, but occasionally misfired. <_<

    Word of warning: if you're looking for alot of manual controls you won't find them here. There's a few, and they help, so it's a great first UW rig if you're used to auto settings. :)

     

    Jason

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.