Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Framing and matting uw photos

Started by bmyates ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Framing and matting uw photos

7 posts
  1. I've finally gotten around to trying to mat and frame some of my uw photos, and I'm having a hell of a time deciding on mat colors and frames! :P

     

    Should I use blue matting (which is practically impossible to match to the blue water in the photo), do I double mat (using contrasting colors!?), do I use a simple black frame or a nice brown wooden one, etc., etc., etc.?! :rolleyes:

     

    If you have any rules of thumb (or pictures of framed uw photos), let's see 'em!

  2. Hi Bruce,

     

    My simple rule of thumb is a black metal frame w/ black matte for underwater photos. For topside nature photos I do the black metal frame w/ white/cream matte.

     

    Of course, every rule is meant to be broken :-)

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. My wife, who was an art major in college, informed me that my UW photos are best represented with a double mat of light beige with a darker gray inner border. The frame is 1/4 inch rolled brushed aluminum. Of course I always listen to my wife! ;-)

     

    imasleeper

  4. I do an outer mat in an ivory white or cream and an inner mat that is high white with black core on most things... with simple profile brushed aluminium frames.

     

    I can recommend the service and products of pictureframes.com (Click HERE, no business interest, just a satisfied customer). The really cool thing with pictureframes.com is the area where you can upload an image and then mix and match mats/frames to your hearts desire.

  5. I do my own framing. My favorite is a double frame cream or light biege. I think a bright white distracts from the picture. A dark inner matte, makes the picture look to framed. I like a gold or copper frame with the cream matte, or a medium shade wood.

  6. I think all of these suggestions can work depending on the situation . I vary my choices depending on the photograph - color or black and white, color dominance of the picture, size of the print, where the print is going to be located in the house or office etc. I think these choices can make a huge difference on the overall presentation of the print. Up till now, I have worked with a local framer on this. I really like the pictureframes.com idea - I may try it out.

  7. There are two basic methods of framing. The easiest and most cost efficient is gallery style. The goal in this style is to keep the frame and mat from detracting from the image. In the case of an actual gallery exhibit it has the added advantage of not detracting from the overall theme of the exhibit. It also allows for qty discounts in the framing material. This style usually consists of a simple frame, typically black with white, off-white or black mats. The other method is to create a frame package that is basically an extension of the artwork. Mat and frame colors selected to help make certain colors in the image pop more, or to subdue them more. Frame profile style is also selected to help flow with the lines of the image. In many cases, the mats and frame style are selected to help integrate the image into its display area. In that case some interior decorating comes in handy. Such skills are one of the things a good custom framer (not Michaels) is paid for. I have some other information about framing on my website that you might find useful.

     

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Picture Frames Destination, Inc.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.