Last week I was asked to put together a short film for a book launch, now it was only three minutes and they just wanted it for a backdrop. It went down exceptionally well and it was actually shown on a couple of news stations which I was pretty pleased about, except for the fact I hadn't branded anything so infact no-one knew who made it etc etc.
What is the protocol regarding branding a film. They paid me well for the film and they didn't have any of their logos on the film themselves, do you guys brand your films?
I would normally put it on the end of the film but it was to be played on loop so thought it may look funny..
I take it you mean something like a running logo or overlaid title to prevent, or deter at least, piracy? Something to personalize the film / product?
I normally do. Make a small overlay title in Photoshop, or use the titling generator in FCP. It depends on how intricate I need to get, espacially if it's a logo etc.
Cheers,
Mark.
Exactly right, I would definately overlay a logo if it was just posted on the internet, but would you do it on a project that a client has commssioned?
On one hand I think that the client has paid for it so it is theirs and they can do what they want with it but also I feel that it got a fair amount of exposure and it would have been a good marketing tool.
As I'm pretty new to the game I just wondered what everyone else did.
Cheers
J
If a client had paid you for the job then its down to them. You wouldn't really be obliged, or allowed, to put your mark on the project unless stipulated by the client. If you get paid for a specific task or production why would you want to continue to protect the image which essentially now belongs to the paying client anyway?