Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Ikelite DS125 and DS 51 options

Started by Rick Meinig ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite DS125 and DS 51 options

7 posts
  1. I have recently acquired an Ikelite DS125 to supplement my DS 51 that I use with a Canon 30D in an Ikelite housing. It seems that I have multiple choices for dual strobe use. Which is "best"? Dual synch cord, single cord with TTL Slave Sensor, or single cord with Manual EV controller?

  2. I would definitely recommend the dual sync cord approach. It's the simplest, doesn't require you buy a controller, and it's the least fiddley and most reliable.

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. I have all of those options and I always go back to using the iTTl slave connector. Most reliable and easiest to use.

     

    A second thought you didn't ask is that I prefer two of the same strobes. This way they have the same color temperature. Or colour temperature for my sister in-law and our British friends.

  4. I went through the same decision last year (with a DS125 and DS50) and bought a dual sync cord. I was very happy with that decision.

     

    At the time I made my decision, Ikelite's TTL Slave sensor did not work all that well with the preflashes from iTTL. Looking at their website now, they seem to have improved things - but I'm not sure how well they work.

     

    With a manual controller, you'll have to adjust the controller which sort of defeats the purpose of having TTL - unless you plan on running the main strobe manually, too.

     

    One annoying thing I found, however, was that I had to run the DS50 as the master strobe. When the DS125 was the master strobe, the system wouldn't work with the DS50 switched off. I emailed Ikelite about this but didn't get a satisfactory answer. I now use 2 x DS125 and things work much better. I didn't have huge issues with the different colour temperatures of the two strobes.

  5. I have recently acquired an Ikelite DS125 to supplement my DS 51 that I use with a Canon 30D in an Ikelite housing. It seems that I have multiple choices for dual strobe use. Which is "best"? Dual synch cord, single cord with TTL Slave Sensor, or single cord with Manual EV controller?

     

    Dual sync cord - no question. You can use the other options if the dual cord fails on a trip.

  6. Dual sync cord - no question. You can use the other options if the dual cord fails on a trip.

     

     

    I did had a dual sync cord failure during my last trip, pretty frustrating for that dive, I snap a few shots and the 2 stobes won't fired but about 15 seconds later, the 2 strobes fired a few times. Glad I had a back up sync cord. Ikelite just replace them said the connector was loose suggesting it was from stress. Of course I disagree but since I don't have to pay, I won't complaint.

  7. I have had intermittent problems with two strobes hooked up to a camera over the years (various Nikon cameras and Subal and Ikelite housings). Not common but just often enough and unpredictable enough to drive me nuts on occasion.

     

    I have had a number of problems with the manual exposure connectors. Especially if both strobes are connected to the camera.

     

    I have never had a problem with the iTTL slave connector or it's predecessor TTL slave connector. They have always worked flawlessly. I have not used one with a pre-flash camera.

     

    The only problem I see with the Ikelite slave sensors is that photographers tend to believe it is not working. When you check it is always working. When you adjust your strobe you have to make sure the sensor is properly aimed.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.