Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Canon housing maintenance

Started by dive4pics ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon housing maintenance

2 posts
  1. Hi All

     

    I have been diving a Canon S60 with their WP DC40 housing for a couple of years and have enjoyed the small size and ease of use. I am concerned about maintaining the housing. I called Canon's technical service center to see about getting all the orings replaced and lubricated and they say they don't do this. The parts department sent me an explosion diagram of the housing and the parts list, but don't have any details on how to remove the actuators and what to use as a lubricant.

     

    I was wondering what other people are doing with these housings? Are you making any maintainence other than occassionally replacing the O ring on the back door and keeping this seal clean and lubricated?

     

    I would really like to avoid the disappointment of a housing filled with salt water....

     

    Any advice?

     

     

    Thanks!

  2. I don't have my S70 housing anymore, but I recall taking apart the button assemblies wasn't too difficult. There is a small retainer clip on inside of the button. Once you can remove that, you should be able to slide the button/ plunger out. Careful to document how the parts go together! Maybe clean the springs and any metal parts in a vinegar soak if there is any minor corrosion. Just use the provided o-ring grease to lube the little o-ring (probably good to lube the button shaft as well). No need to apply too much o-ring grease.

     

    But I'm surprised Canon told you they don't do that service when their housing manuals always recommend periodical servicing which should be done at the "factory"...

     

    edit: if you decide to self service this, PLEASE leak test the housing u/w without a camera in it and give the buttons a test at depth...

    Edited by pakman
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.