Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wide Angle Traditional

Started by loftus ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Wide Angle Traditional

4 posts
  1. Looking at the categories for the Wetpixel photocompetition, it seems to me that the allowable image manipulations for the traditional categories make no sense. If the object is to protect Photoshop deficient competitors then the way to do this would be to insist that the original was shot in JPEG or straight transparency with zero manipulations, so that ALL adjustments have to be made in camera. The allowable adjustments like contrast, brightness, sharpness require one to be far more Photoshop savvy than simple crop and spot manipulations. I would argue that an image can also be changed far more dramatically with the allowable manipulations, particularly contrast manipulations utilizing curves etc. It is even possible to minimize the appearance of backscatter for example by darkening a background using curves. Sharpening techniques can make dramatic changes to the appearance of an image. Add to this colour adjustments etc, and you hardly have an original image. Cropping at least, is available in even the simplest image managers and hardly requires more computer knowledge than being able to download and sort images. Makes no sense to me. Either have zero manipulation, straight out of the camera, or make it all untraditional.

    Edited by loftus
  2. What about a section for photographers who only work in Program mode, so as not to give an unfair advantage to divers who have learned to use their cameras?

     

    I've spent five years learning how to use (a few of) the possibilities of Photoshop. Many years ago I learned how to make B+W prints. There was never, as far as I know, a competition that required the negatives rather than the prints, to be the submission. The process of producing a final image from data captured "in the field" has always been a fundamental part of photography.

     

    I think that the key is the degree of modification, and could be addressed by submitting the RAW/jpeg and the final image. I'm quite happy with print submissions, too.

     

    I think I can spot strongly modified images, though I think that some competitions have allowed a bit of cut-and-paste to creep in: I've seen some suspiciously smooth-edged sharks recently.

     

    post-4522-1190451910_thumb.jpg

     

    This is strongly modified: I shot in colour. Is it a fake because of that?

     

    Tim

     

    B)

    post-4522-1190451913_thumb.jpg

  3. I think your photograph, which is spectacular, makes my point. My intention was not to turn this into a purist in-camera vs post-processing discussion, simply to point out that the traditional category should be a total in-camera excercise to be completely fair about it - this means original JPEG with present camera options.

    Another point, is that those who whine that they cannot do Photoshop, need to get over it, in my opinion. Photoshop and the 'digital darkroom' are here to stay, learn it! Did you ever hear a film photographer complain that a competition was unfair because his competitor was better in the darkroom?

    I am personally all for post-processing, it was never an issue when I had a darkroom, and I have just as much fun doing post, all the way through printing, than I do taking the picture.

    Edited by loftus
  4. My apologies, then: I think that we agree!

     

    I have to say that I miss the thrill of an image appearing in the tray, but not all the trial exposures and the contact sheets.

     

    I never managed colour printing, though, and Photoshop colour management is a great boon.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.