Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

O-Ring Removal between Dive Days

Started by IMSushi ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

O-Ring Removal between Dive Days

8 posts
  1. Maybe this was covered in a previous topic, but I couldn't find it. The others skirted the issue.

     

    On a live-aboard using a DSLR housing, do you remove any of the O-rings over night? or just leave the cables connected and the back plate , strobe battery seals, and port firmly locked on?

     

    For longer periods, say 1 month, between dives is it necesary or remove synch cable o-rings, port o-rings, and the main housing o-ring?

     

    With my P&S, I always took the main housing o-ring and strobe battery seal off and left them in a Zip-Lock baggie if I wasn't diving for a month.

  2. I never disassemble my housing and set up during a dive trip. Of course usually every O ring gets removed and serviced at some point during a trip as things get changed around. I subscribe to the old axiom that if the O ring didn't leak on the last dive it won't on the next unless you mess with it.

  3. Hi Pat,

     

    I think that this is a difficult topic to give advice on, because I am not aware that anyone has ever proved if on method is better than another.

     

    Many photographers I know never clean their camera during a trip. Personally I clean my o-rings everytime I move them. It only takes a minute. And generally this means cleaning the main o-ring and port o-ring each dive. I like to change lenses for most dives as I find the new perspective of a different lens motivates me and makes me take better pix. It is just a personal thing. I tend to clean the synch cord every couple of days.

     

    I have never had a flood with any of my slr (film then digital) housings. That said I have seen many camera's flood directly after being cleaned with people not seating o-rings correctly etc! I have also seen many o-rings leak when they were "fine on the last dive".

     

    Another thing to consider are the diving conditions. If you shore diving off a sand beach, your o-rings will collect lots of sand, while if you are boat diving in open water they will probably stay very clean.

     

    But as I said at the top I am not convinced that there is a right or wrong. I would suggest you should decide what routine you are going to do and then stick with it. That way should you have a flood you won't kick yourself for not doing what you planned.

     

    Alex

  4. Thanks guys! Your insight and past experiences help a lot.

  5. I typically don't clean the orings unless I see sand around them when I'm opening the housing up to change a battery or memory card. If the oring has no contaminants, I'll leave it as-is for the next dive. The only flood I've ever had was when I failed to seat the camera correctly. I think the big thing is don't ever open and close a housing in a hurry. Take your time, inspect everything and you should be fine.

  6. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Keep your o-rings clean. If that requires removing them to remove debris ok, otherwise leave them alone. I'm with davephdv.

  7. Whenever I crack a seal I clean the oring and the sealing surface. This way I can convince myself that the seal is clean again and that there isn't any foreign matter on the sealing surfaces. That's part of the reason that I modified my housing to be able to download without opening the housing. That way I only need to change camera batteries every few days.

  8. I agree with mark, if i break a seal both the oring and sealing surface get a good cleaning and re-lube no matter what. I always worry that a hair or speck of sand or drop of water may slip under the oring whenever its not fully sealed.

     

    That said I try not to break seals like sync cables over multiple days if not necessary.

     

    Chris

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.