Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

what digital point and shot should I buy for around 500?

Started by brandon ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

what digital point and shot should I buy for around 500?

4 posts
  1. Hi, I am looking to order a digtial point and shot with housing in the next several days. looking to spend about 500 US. I have had some experience with the canon power shot 900, however it lacks manual settings. I am looking for something with decent resolution, over 6 mega pixels, that has video and a decent macro setting. I want something for travel that I can learn with before i buy a housing for my nikon d 70. also are there any cameras in this category that shot raw? any advice would be much appreciated thanks

    Edited by brandon
  2. I've just bought a Canon Powershot 570 IS with Canon WPDC-12 housing, for under AUS$600, so would be around US$500. It has manual settings on it and is 7.1 mega pixels. Not sure how good the macro function is on it yet, as i haven't had the chance to use it underwater yet. It also has video on it but doesn't shoot in raw. Ikelite also do a housing for it but is about US$300. Inon also do a bayonet fitting for the Canon housing to suit their wide,macro and fish eye lenses.

     

    Hope this may be of some help to you

  3. I second the recommendation for the Canon - an excellent value and great beginner cam.

     

    James

  4. Canon's put back RAW in their G9...

     

    Other than that, see if you can maybe find a Oly 350 (discontinued). Seen a lot of good results from that camera.

     

    If you can live without RAW, maybe consider one of the Fuji's which have good low light capabilities (but not 100% manual controls).

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.