Hi all,
As getting something published is a very new thing to me, I'm not sure if what's happened is the normal course for things to happen.
Short overview of how things went.
-On my latest trip to Central Sulawesi I witnessed 2 major ecology problems that area has to cope with. Back home I sent an email asking people for advice on how to act (very naive perhaps, I know. Interesting nonetheless what answers you get depending on what someone's interest is. But that's another discussion)
-Anyhow, I got an answer back from a guy that had recently started up a magazine and he asked me to write a report on both problems, stating to do it ASAP as urgent action needed to be undertaken.
-So I wrote 2 reports (one with the kind assistance of a world specialist on one of the issues), posted my contribution and waited to get a some kind of reaction whether my text and/or pics would be accepted.
-Nothing...
-When the release date of that issue came nearer I thought I'd check once more...yes, my reports were accepted and therefore would be published. Woohoo !
-Not going to deny I felt a bit flattered (first try, and immediately got accepted in a magazine with an editorial board that embraces all the big names in the industry)
-Not going to deny either it was a VERY BIG surprise to me when I read what was supposed to be my text: what I had written as an as objective as possible "scientific" report was turned into a Hollywood drama story. I barely recognized my own text. So I felt a bit betrayed to read "report by Bart De Ridder".
-Furthermore my picture was cropped in this way that it left out my copyright. Nowhere was it mentioned it was my pic (whereas in another article it was clearly stated "photography by name (one of the members of the editorial board)").
-And to top it all, the second part of the report was summarized in 1 meaningless sentence (know that this 2nd issue was what initially caught this magazine's interest.)
To finally come to my question: To what extent is a magazine allowed to edit texts/pics...WITHOUT consulting the author in anyway, cause that's what happened in my case. I do understand a magazine wants to edit texts and pictures, but don't they have to ask the author's opinion at least? I mean, I have a scientific background and whenever we publish an article you get a reply whether your article is accepted for publication and if they want you to make any changes.
As I said in the beginning, I'm new to this aspect of UW-photography so let's hear the comments
Regards,
Bart
PS: Having seen what they turned my text into, I will definitely read any other article in a different way...