Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Is this a Stauromedusae?

Started by Lndr ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Is this a Stauromedusae?

7 posts
  1. Wondering if this is a species of Stauromedusae ...

     

    LeanderWiseman_Stauromedusae_4445.jpg

     

    Any ideas?

     

    cheers

    Leander

    Edited by Lndr
  2. Possibly? I think that it might be a benthic stage of a jellyfish, but I am just guessing.

     

    Alex

  3. I didn't realise that regular jellies had a benthic stage :D

     

    Its what was in my mind when I took the pics, but searching the web the images of stauromedusae look a bit different

     

    Here is one closed up when it caught something ...

     

    LeanderWiseman_Stauromedusae_4448.jpg

  4. thanks Alex - I've done my homework now :)

     

    For some reason the penny hadn't dropped that the larvae settle out before becoming free-swimming ephyra :D Any references I can find to larvae/polyps/strobila seem to indicate they are quite small - millimeters?

     

    cheers

    Leander

  5. Hey Leander, sure looks like a species of Stauromedusae(Staurozoa) to me. These guys have no medusa stage... and the polyps of Scyphozoans can be a range of sizes, usually less than 5 mm in width, ephyrae are typically 2-3 mm when they pop off. The only larvae you'll probably ever see is moon jelly planulae, they are very large and they brood them in their oral arms.

     

    Those are cool shots, I'm pretty sure those are gonads just inside the mouth. The white spots should all be nematocyst batteries and it looks like this species almost has tentacles off the lappets. Awesome find!

    Cheers,

    Wyatt

  6. Thanks Wyatt, Its pretty cool to think they are stauromedusae - I have wanted to see some ever since I found out the existed :P

     

    In the full res photos you can see the tentacles. In fact the closed one caught a mysid (or similar), which was attracted to my lights, while I was taking the photos.

     

    I have received some feedback from a stauromedusae expert in Japan who believes they are in the Lipkea genus. Some of these spp haven't been recorded since their discovery in 1893 - which I think makes it a pretty cool find :)

     

    :)

    Leander

  7. Well its official ! it was a stauromedusae .. and its been published as a new species in a paper by Carolina Zagal from UTAS !

     

     

    SO EXCITING !!!

     

    http://eprints.utas.edu.au/11818/

     

    WooT !

    Edited by Lndr
Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.