Three Inon z240s strobes have failed on this PNG live aboard. One of which I borrowed on the trip. My subal, d200 and dual z240s are 8 months old. On day 30 of my 43 days PNG adventure and I am strobeless.
Just before this trip a mate helped me setup the sea and sea TTL convertor III. We did a macro test dive before which was great, all shots well exposed. All OK I thought.
So I pack my 100 kg of gear and land in Rabaul PNG and we have had 10 days of the cleanest, clearest water blue, blue, blue water I have ever seen on our way to Walindi PNG. I take a few good shots and all is working well. I am very happy with the ttl convertor, a lot less missed shots when fast action is happening and easier to turn off for sunburst shots.
On day 20 my first z240 gets a green light on rear instead of a red. And the strobe does not fire. I checked batteries , connectors. All appeared OK. I borrowed a shipmates spare z240. She had two z240 fail on her last liveaboard.
On day 23 my second z240 fails same symptoms, except even when switched off the green led stays on. I call sea optics my dealer in oz on the very expensive satellite phone, My dealer advised to stop using ttl convertor incase there are compatibility issues causing the failures. So I disconnected it and borrowed another shipmates z240 and this worked fine.
On day 25 my first borrowed z240 died in style at 47 meters doing shots of the nose of the spectacular black jack, B17 bomber I noticed my 10.5mm shot was half lit, red light OK, no green light, turned it off on, no TTL convertor, still same problem. Then I turned it off there was a big pop and a last flash that came out of the rear of the strobe. It was still a great dive, but the trip was getting expensive. The boats engineer and most experienced photographer carefully checked the strobe, there was no water in the battery compartment or ttl connector. I have photos of this. Upon closer inspection the thread on the strobe where the electrical cable connects, is moveable a mmillimeter or two. We saw water extruding around the base of this thread. We looked at another non flooded strobe and there was movement at the base of that thread also. One would suspect this movement is unacceptable and a potential cause for a flood. Potentially the electrical cable is exerting pressure on this thread. This is despite cable ties properly supporting the cable on the strobe arms, specifically aimed to avoid this. This aspect of the strobe design looks suspect and only affects those using electrical cables. My colleague had two similar floodings when the thread disconnected from the strobe.while using the electrical connectors. She now uses the fibre optic connections and has had no problems since.
To my knowledge 5 inon z240 strobes have failed within the warranty period with no obvious user error. So far my dealer SEA OPTICSs and INON have been great, I have purchased two more z240s arriving today. I am hoping to claim back the cost of this under warranty.
INON Japan has purchased the SEA and SEA ttl convertor III and are testing it for compatibility with the inon z240. If you have the convertor III I would suggest waititng until its confirmed compatible or buying a few extra strobes if you are going on a long liveaboard just in case.
I am very interested in hearing from others who may have had similar experiences.