Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Leaky Window?

Started by Rob Esaw ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Leaky Window?

10 posts
  1. Hey Aquatica users.

     

    I got a scare on Saturday during a dive. I saw what I thought was water creeping into my housing through the rear window.

     

    It looks like water is in between the rear window and the housing. The acrylic changes color as the water contacts it.

    If I tilted the camera, the water would slowly move left/right, like a bubble level. This is just on the cut edge of the window, against the seal, I assume. The housing did not leak, but I haven't noticed this before.

     

    Have any of you seen this? Is this normal??

  2. Yeah, i saw it too! if you are using the standard front port, you will see similar thing too.

     

    don't know if this is normal....

  3. I believe this is normal. The window's edge has a notch cut around it that an oring fits into. The window is then press-fit into the housing. Water will accumulate between the oring and the outer edge of this window. Same goes for the flat ports.

  4. Thanks guys. That is what I figured, but it was driving me nuts that I couldn't see the location of the ring in the window.

     

    I appreciate the help.

     

    Todd, what do you think??

  5. rstark is going to go damn that guy never has a problem with his housing!I remind you I did with the prototype.

     

    I have not encountered it yet. I have not had the housing in cold water yet as I think you three have. Maybe it could be something with regards to constriction due to the temperature. Just my two cents.

     

    I would probably call Aquatica just to confirm everyones thoughts.

     

    My comfort comes form the fact that I got the moisture sensor installed in my housing. What scares me is sometimes I think I am seeing the light come on when it is really just the way the natural light is hitting the red bulb. Then I realize that I would have heard the constant audible sound indicating problems. (must have been narced)

     

    ps Rob my local shop is closing up (Owner got accepted into the RCMP) so I would guess I will head out to BC for some weekends more now. We will have to hook-up for some dives some time.

  6. Hey pal I'll take you diving anytime. Did Sask only have 1 dive shop????? hee hee.

     

    I have the moisture alarm too, but unless the camera is perfectly level it won't work. I find that it is often pointed down too much to allow the sensor to be first in contact.

     

    I'll send the thread to Aquatica.

     

    thanks.

  7. Regina had two and the other one I would not go into. Saskatoon has one that I would go into but, I know Ed at Sundown so I will support him now.

     

    I Divemastered at the one closing. You know what they say..."You know how to make a little money in the diving industry...start with a lot"

  8. rstark is going to go damn that guy never has a problem with his housing!I remind you I did with the prototype.

    Ya my only problem is with strobes! I'll trade any of the housing problems in exchange for my strobe problems. I guess I've gotten lucky since abandoning film I haven't had a leak. I have an audible leak detector from an old Sealux housing that I was thinking of installing but I always dive with a thick hood and don't know if I would hear it right away. On the Aquatica leak detector, where is the light mounted?

  9. On the back of the housing in the window you will see the black piece to the left with a small hole in it. Light goes in there.

     

    I truly feel for you and, am very curious as to what the deal is with them.

  10. Alright, in here is Aquatica's response to my concern:

     

    "On the

    back acrylic window the o-ring is in the middle of the port,and this port

    is 1/2 an inch thick,therefore you will have water go half way down the

    port,but then will stop at the o-ring.The front port is also the

    same,except that the acrylic is only 1/4 thick.We have been using this type

    of seal for years,and it is very reliable.If you see water on the

    inside,then yes this should be a concern.

    Thank you,

    Blake"

     

    I dove again today. No leaks, but no great shots either...

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.