Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Tone curve for D70s

Started by Seaboy ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tone curve for D70s

6 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I use a Nikon D70s underwater.

     

    For Wideangle photos I use the shooting menu -> Optimize image -> Custom -> Tone compensation +1 (medium high). Sometimes I use +2 (high). I use the same options for Macro.

     

    I know there are some Costum Tone Curves to get better results for WA and others for Macro.

     

    Did someone tested some of this Tonal Curves underwater? Conclusions?

  2. Hello,

     

    I use a Nikon D70s underwater.

     

    For Wideangle photos I use the shooting menu -> Optimize image -> Custom -> Tone compensation +1 (medium high). Sometimes I use +2 (high). I use the same options for Macro.

     

    I know there are some Costum Tone Curves to get better results for WA and others for Macro.

     

    Did someone tested some of this Tonal Curves underwater? Conclusions?

     

     

    Why not shoot in RAW and adjust the tone curve to suit the subject with CS3 RAW converter?

  3. Hello John,

     

    it's because sometimes I have to shoot JPG rather than RAW (splash in contests and so on) so I have to make all the decisions before and not after shooting :)

  4. I found that a simple S-shaped custom curve works well under water, but as you need the Nikon software to load a curve, why not make several and experiment to suit your own style of shooting?

     

    post-4522-1191789356_thumb.jpg post-4522-1191789496_thumb.jpg

     

    I use this simple custom curve for both wide-angle and macro, though I often beef it up in post-processing. I do think that it could easily be overdone, and could be a bit difficult to retrieve in RAW conversion.

     

    Tim

     

    B)

  5. I found that a simple S-shaped custom curve works well under water, but as you need the Nikon software to load a curve, why not make several and experiment to suit your own style of shooting?

     

    Tim

     

    B)

     

    Hello Tim,

     

    excelent photo, nice contrast!

     

    thanks for the attention. I do have the old Nikon Capture that allows me to upload the custom curve.

     

    By the way: wonder why the new Capture NX lost this software feature?

     

    I'll try the simple S-shaped costume curve. It'll be a hard job because I can only try one curve at each dive... :P guess "no pain no gain" :)

  6. Is there a curve that can help creating sun burst a little better with the D70?

    I tried to play with some images I have and the Nikon Capture but without any success.

    Are there others settings that can help with that?

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.