Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Goatfish i.d.

Started by JimG ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Goatfish i.d.

4 posts
  1. Took several of this in N.Bali in May. It looks the right deep-set shape for Parupeneus multifasciatus and P.bifasciatus but the colour is wrong. I know goatfish generally change colour when resting as this one was so perhaps it is one or the other.

    Can anybody help please?

    post-2843-1191781530_thumb.jpg

  2. The eye colour, pattern and shape look very similar to P. bifasciatus in Reef Fish ID (Allen, Steene, Humann and DeLoach); I think the bars are faded (was this a night dive?)

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. Thanks Marli

    It was actually a day dive with full sun as I recall it - and fairly shallow - about 12m.

    I have another shot with just a hint of a bar running down from the rear of the second dorsal fin to the the ventral area.

  4. I agree with Marli and think it is a P. bifasciatus.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.