Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Can't seem to ID this fish

Started by SimonSpear ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Can't seem to ID this fish

14 posts
  1. Hi all

     

    I was wondering if anyone can help me with an ID for this fish. The following pictures are cropped frame grabs from some video I took, so this is about as good resolution as I can post.

     

    Whatfish2.jpg

     

    Whatfish3.jpg

     

    I'm thinking it is some kind of juvenile, but other than that have no idea at all. It was 'drifting' across a sandy area, trying very hard to look like a dead leaf. Approximate size was 15-20mm.

     

    Any help would be really appreciated.

     

    Cheers, Simon

    Edited by SimonSpear
  2. I think the common name is "rockmover wrasse" or "Dragon wrasse."

     

    Cheers

    James

  3. Simon

     

    I have got it down as a Peacock Razorfish - Iniistius pavo (Wrasse family - Labridae).

  4. Yea you're right it's a juvenile rockmover wrasse.

  5. Thanks for your help everyone but I'm still not 100% sure that it is either a juvenile Rockmover Wrasse or Peacock Razorfish.

     

    Here are some links to photos of these that I've seen on the web

     

    Juvenile Rockmover Wrasse

     

    Juvenile Peacock Razorfish

     

    It doesn't look like either of those really, although I did see this photo of a Juvenile Rockmover Wrasse which although a different colour is very similar in appearance.

     

    Could it be a question of misidentification on the photos that I've see, or perhaps various different appearances from multiple stages of development? Looks like I still need some help to nail this one down completely!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  6. This is a picture of a Juvenile Rockmover Wrasse as I got it listed.

    post-6578-1191933289_thumb.jpg

  7. This is a picture of a Juvenile Rockmover Wrasse as I got it listed.

    I agree with a previous poster that it's a juvenile razorfish (Iniistius pavo)

  8. definitely looks like a juvenile razorfish, not a juvie rockmover...

     

    nice find!

     

    scott

  9. Ok, i retract my statement, it's not a rockmover, but I dont think it's a razorfish either. Look at the stripe down the eye and the dorsal fin. The dorsal fin on only on the back third of its body, the razorfish has a dorsal fin along its entire dorsal side. I'll do some mroe research, if I can find my ID books. Where was this shot taken? That will help.

  10. Thanks for your help so far everyone! :)

     

    I've not been able to find any photos of any fish that look exactly like this one so far. I've been looking on the net and in ID books.

     

    It was taken at Malapascua in the Philippines in May. I've only just got around to IDing all the wonderful critters I saw, but this one is proving the most difficult by far!

     

    Cheers, Simon

  11. ok, my final conclusion is Peacock Razor fish, at first I didn't think it was, but the ID book im looking in is a Hawaii fish ID book, if this was shot in the Phillipenes, it could very well have different colortion. And looking twice at the dorsal fin makes me think its the razorfish. You cant ID fish based on color in most cases, especially when they are found in different parts of the world. Hope that helps!

  12. You know I'm still not 100% certain it is either of those fish. If anyone still wants to try and have a stab at IDing it I've uploaded some video which can be found here

     

    Many thanks, Simon

  13. Many thanks for all your help. I guess we've cracked it this time. :)

     

    Cheers, Simon

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.