I have two comments regarding the criticism of Alex Mustard getting both 1st and 2nd place in this contest:
1. It was an open CONTEST, not an "amateurs only" competition, so any amateur (like me) entering should have recognized that their chances of winning were slim, since they would likely be competing against numerous other folks--pros and amateurs alike--who are (at least at this point) frankly much better photographers than they are. I mean c'mon now, be realistic. You and I can aspire to become as skilled and talented as Eric, Alex and dozens of other Wetpixel members, but at this point we simply aren't in the same league. I am reminded of that fact on a weekly basis when I consider entering the POW contest. I sometimes enter photos, but when I look at them all to judge, I usually see a LOT of photos that seem like comparable quality to mine, some that are worse, and at least half a dozen that make me say, "Crap - I'll NEVER be that good!" (In fact, ironically, the only time I've won POW was last week, and it was with my Cheshire-cat Grin shark shot, which I captured largely by LUCK - sheesh!). But that's OK; I think one of the purposes/benefits of an open contest is so "us amateurs" can constantly hold our own "best" (thus far) work up against others and see what we COULD produce someday.
If I entered a footrace, I might WISH they would eliminate all the fastest runners from the competition, but I wouldn't really expect them to, and if they did and I won, the victory would be a bit hollow... There's certainly a place for "amateur only" competitions, but there aren't a lot for uw photography, and this certainly wasn't one of them.
2. Because of the above, I think it is TOTALLY off-base to criticize ANYONE for entering a contest like this, but ESPECIALLY Alex Mustard. I've had the honor of being on a dive boat with Alex, and -- unlike several other professional photographers I've been on trips with -- he was one of the most humble, genuine, generous-with-his-time (and advice) people I've ever met. There is NO sense of his (well deserved) accolades having gone to his head or making him feel "above the little people." You're also talking about someone who has over 4,500 posts here on Wetpixel! (In think the criticism came from someone with a few dozen(?)
) Alex has devoted countless hours contributing to and being part of this community, helping others (like you and me) improve their uw photography skills. Do a search and read some of Alex's posts--you'll find them thoughtful and informative. And spend a few minutes on his website, and you'll understand what a truly talented/gifted photographer he really is.
I didn't know which of the entries in this contest were his (or even if ANY were), but I voted for the "plucked chicken" pygmy (the one that's is going to be on the tag)--simply because I thought it would look best on the tag. IOW, I think he deserved to win...and obviously so did a lot of other folks!
Congrats, Alex! I hope you continue winning awards, and keep raising the bar for the rest of us!