- 8Posts
- 8Replies
Read-only discussion
Goby help please
-
-
Tsk tsk, it's a sad day when a worm person is the only one responding to a fish inquiry!
Jim, I can't give you what you want as I have only a few fish books but here's a few sites with loads of goby pictures that may have a match.
http://bagusdivers.if.tv/framzukan/zukan1.html
And of course you can always try Fishbase:
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/search.php?lang=English
Good luck & let us know if you find it's name.
-
Thanks Leslie
I had already waded through the Goby Frontiers site which helped me with several others. ( Highly recommend the site to others ) Have looked at the other two but no luck. When I've got about a week to spare, I'll plough through all the goby entries on Fishbase! Gobies are difficult subjects due to colour variations between locations and just the total number of species. I suspect there must be a few still not classified
-
Jim
Put 'goby' into the simple search on my website if you want to see those I've shot in UK/Ireland. Some interesting stuff turned up this year including Jeffrey's Goby (which appears to be as Sea Loch dweller as well as a deeper water species). I keep seeing oddities which I'm trying to photograph but few people are willing to make definitive IDs!
-
It's a fascinating but frustrating group. Color variants, male-females differences, many are described but not photographed, and many more are still not described or photographed. I sometimes think the number of unknowns is higher than the known ones.
-
Well I think it's a Coryphopterus sp, but I'm having trouble narrowing it down. I found a paper on the net by Jack Randall describing some new Coryphopterus sp. I have it down to either:
a) Coryphopterus aureus (but the dorsal markings are a bit light)
or
B) female Coryphopterus longspinus
Might at least get you headed in the right direction.
Cheers,
Marli
-
Marli
That's a great help - I think you have just about cracked it. I looked at Coryphopterus longspinus - now Fusigobius longipinnis - on Fish Base but the main picture did not look a good match so I never opened up the back-uo pictures. But having looked at them now and read the i.d. stuff, I believe this is it.
The other possibility might be F. pallidus but the eye markings are different. Thanks for all your trouble.
Paul
A Jeffrey's Goby is a nice find - well done. Got a half decent shot of a Fries' Goby this year when we were up at Doune just after your group - may be old hat to you but it is a first for me!
-
Hi Jim
Not old hat to me at all. Got a decent shot of one whilst at Doune!
Once I'd got an ID on the Jeffries and got my eye in, I checked my files and have taken them in Fyne, Roag (on Lewis) and elsewhere. I've a substantial set of shots of gobies which don't look quite right which I'm slowly sorting. Here off North Wales we have some which I've video'd but don't have decent stills of and which don't fit my existing IDs so looks like next year will be busy going back.....