Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

New pipefish species - Lembeh

Started by tjgreen ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

New pipefish species - Lembeh

10 posts
  1. Just back from Lembeh and Raja Ampat - first time there, and first big trip with my D80 (last trip with that particular D80, flooded on the 4th day in Raja Ampat, oh well).

     

    They showed us a new species of pipefish discovered by Liberty, one of the guides there. I think he called it a "bonny-tail pipefish." Anyone have more scientific info on it? It looked like an elongated pygmy seahorse to me. I searched the forums here and didn't find anything but another pic of it.

     

    Thanks,

    Tim

    post-8925-1192448626_thumb.jpg

  2. There are some shots on Digitaldiver. It appears to be a new Genus in the Syngnathidae family, and the scientists are undoubtedly quite excited. The fin is on the tail, rather than the abck, and it has an "antennae" on its back, (for lack of a brain this early in the morning).

    Cheers,

    Marli

  3. nice photo Tim, very cool pipefish...

     

    sorry about your d80 (that's what I use also). which housing did you have.. any theories as to what caused the flood?

     

    how did raja ampat compare to lembeh?

     

    scott

  4. nice photo Tim, very cool pipefish...

     

    sorry about your d80 (that's what I use also). which housing did you have.. any theories as to what caused the flood?

     

    how did raja ampat compare to lembeh?

     

    scott

     

    I have the Aquatica housing - I was shooting over/unders off the beach. Somehow the dome port got rotated and popped off. Until then I was very happy with it, just need to figure out some way to keep the ports from rotating. Failing something more elegant, I'll use gaffer's tape or something next time.

     

    Hard to compare RA and Lembeh, completely different types of diving and photography. I enjoyed both very much.

  5. Just back from Lembeh and Raja Ampat - first time there, and first big trip with my D80 (last trip with that particular D80, flooded on the 4th day in Raja Ampat, oh well).

     

    They showed us a new species of pipefish discovered by Liberty, one of the guides there. I think he called it a "bonny-tail pipefish." Anyone have more scientific info on it? It looked like an elongated pygmy seahorse to me. I searched the forums here and didn't find anything but another pic of it.

     

    Thanks,

    Tim

     

    Very cool! where was it found exactly?

  6. Very cool! where was it found exactly?

     

    Can't remember the exact site. Do you mean habitat/depth? There were two of them within a few feet of each other, around 25-30 ft deep, in the shelter of a large coral outcrop.

    Edited by tjgreen
  7. Very nice discovery, it is amazing how many species are still out there awaiting description.

  8. Can't remember the exact site. Do you mean habitat/depth? There were two of them within a few feet of each other, around 25-30 ft deep, in the shelter of a large coral outcrop.

     

    Habitat, depth, whatever information you have -_-

  9. Habitat, depth, whatever information you have -_-

     

    Ok, here's the scant info I have:

     

    We were diving the mainland side of Lembeh straits, in a fairly large coral patch, roughly 25-30 ft deep (8-10m), not much current - pretty typical. The fish were on the down-slope side of a large coral bommy, 3-4 ft away from each other and about the same from the bottom. They were sheltered under a semi-overhang (the rock extended out above them), and anchored to red/brown seaweed/algae, bodies extended out into the water column in a head-down posture. They were both next to a piece that stuck out from the rock, and their body positions paralleled that object (could be coincidence). I've attached a pic of the other one as well.

     

    Tim

    post-8925-1192811816_thumb.jpg

  10. Habitat, depth, whatever information you have :)

     

     

    I just got back from Lembeh. The dive guides pointed out one of these little guys on a night dive, in front of Lembeh resort. We were in 20 feet of water, on a rocky reef. The critter was the size of a small thread - I didn't even try to take a picture of it. Some of the rest of our group may have images to share.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.