Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Florida Pipefish

Started by laz217 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Florida Pipefish

3 posts
  1. I've come across this little guy a couple of times now while diving and after looking through my reference books I can not find a match. By description Bryx veleronic (Florida Pugnose Pipefish) sounds right but the coloration is completely different. And unless it's in its juvenile stage, Micrognathus ensenadae (Harlequin Pipefish), this little guy is missing the red and yellow bands. He is about 4 inches long and has no fan tail.

     

    Any ideas?

     

    070921-000102-0102.jpg

  2. Laz,

     

    Cute little guy....!!

     

    The last few times I asked Paul Humann for help on a pipefish ID he evaded the subject - seems he has decided that most are too hard to accurately ID without a specimine/fin ray count, etc.

     

    But I do know that a couple of years ago Les Wilk was given some previously "un-IDed" pipefish sp. - some detailed pictures of them to try and ID. I don't know how far her got on that project but I'm sure he has some good data.

     

    I would be worth it to send your pic to ReefNet:

    Les Wilk

    wilk@reefnet.ca

     

    Best, Carol

  3. Thanks for the info, Carol. I will try to get in touch with Les re: the pipefish.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.