Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Something from Lembeh

Started by tjgreen ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Something from Lembeh

5 posts
  1. I saw this in the sand in Lembeh - about 4-5 inches tall, with numerous glass shrimp on it, and some small white egg-like objects (top right). I have no idea what it is - some type of worm?

     

    I've attached front and back views. Or opposite side views, I guess - I have no idea which is the front.

     

    Tim

    post-8925-1192805490_thumb.jpg

    post-8925-1192805563_thumb.jpg

  2. Looks like a Sea Pen to me.

     

    Alex

  3. Looks like a Sea Pen to me.

     

    Alex

     

    Thanks. Any idea what the round white objects are in the upper right corner? Some sort of egg mass was my guess.

  4. The white masses are anemones. Graham Abbott previously posted a pic of the same thing which I sent off for an id but never got a reply. Those long armed shrimp appear to be a species of Kemponia.

  5. DOH! Just whip me with a fireworm & teach me not to flip the pages so fast..... p. 93 in "Coral reef animals of the Indo-Pacific" by Gosliner, Behrens, & Williams. The white anemones are attached jellyfish that might be in the genus Lipkea. Unlike other jellyfish these don't swim; they live attached to bottom dwelling organisms. The picture shows several on a sea pen

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.