Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Winter the dolphin on the BBC

Started by seagrant ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Winter the dolphin on the BBC

4 posts
  1. The BBC just did a piece on Winter the dolphin in fact it is one of the best short video pieces I've seen about her. The announcer called her "The most famous dolphin in the world." :) (Hey he said it....., not me.... B) ..)

     

    For those of you who know I've helped Winter recover since she came into the Clearwater Marine Aquarium's stranding facility on December 10, 2005 after an entanglement incident with an abandoned crab trap. It took months and months of round the clock care but she has a strong will to live and is now an extremely healthy dolphin.

     

    An additional privilege I was granted is to take pictures of Winter underwater and document the prosthetic tail with underwater photos and a little video. It has gone well I think because she knows me well and is used to my presence. Of course the photography is challenging as it is all natural light, short sessions and very limited access. But it has been a real honor for me and I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

     

    Lots of pics of her on my website that I'm updating:

    http://www.oceangrant.com

     

    And the BBC video I can't embed it here and I think it has timed out on their front page but if you go to this link and type "Winter" into the search box - top right - the recent video of her can be selected to play.

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/

     

    Also of note - the Clearwater Marine Aquarium is a non-profit 301C charity organization in Clearwater, Florida - dedicated to the Rescue, Rehab and Release of Marine Mammals, Sea Turtles and River Otters.

     

    Additional Note - a new law was recently enacted in Florida that makes it easier for state officials to pick up crab traps that are abandoned, broken from moorings or otherwise damaged. This is a large step in the right direction to help prevent the same tragedy that befell Winter the dolphin from happening to other marine life. It is not just Winter - we have seen manatee and sea turtles come in with crab traps entwined around flippers, tails etc. Some creatures can still swim with a crab trap attached - sometimes dragging it for great distances but others who couldn't surface of course drown.

     

    Carol

    Edited by seagrant
  2. Cheers to you Carol.

     

    Fantastic...And its a heart warming, rewarding thing you do... :):)

     

    Dive safe

     

    DeanB

  3. Keep up the good work Carol. I know it's your passion

    Jeff

  4. Thanks Guys! :D

     

    More Breaking News..... Winter will meet again with a young girl amputee who has done so much better since seeing Winter several months ago. Winter will also meet with some wounded war vets. I'll do another post on this as it is a separate (and quite meaningful) event.

     

    Thanks, Carol

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.