Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Photo Assignment & Feedback for newbee

Started by vincentkneefel ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Photo Assignment & Feedback for newbee

5 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I started U/W photography not so long ago. Receiving (constructive) feedback from others has so far taught me most about u/w photography.

     

    However, to make things a little bit more challenging, I would find it very learnful if someone could give me a couple (max 4) specific photo assignments which require special techniques that are currently still out of my range (...a whole lot :)). By figuring out myself how to shoot the assigned pictures, I hope to learn more about u/w photography (even if I don't succeed taking them) and I would be very happy to post the results on this forum for feedback.

     

    My next trip is to Cocos Island next month :) . I am shooting a Sigma 10-20mm for wide angle and a Nikon 60mm for Macro. I have one SB-600 strobe for both wide-angle and macro (still saving money for a slave or second flash).

     

    Looking forward to your responses,

    Cheers

     

    Vincent

  2. Hi Vincent,

     

    I'm just starting out too, and what I do is I like to flip through dive mags and then think about how to get similar shots. I guess this is what you mean by a photo assignment?

     

    Sometimes I think I get better shots than those in the mags. Or it may be one :D too many after the dives...haha

  3. Also relatively new to u/w photography. I like your idea, though I've usually just given myself assignments. I go through questions like these for myself, hopefully they'll be some help to you.

     

    1) What's currently in/out of your range? Judging from your portfolio, you've done a fair bit of natural light w/a, and some macro, so I assume you know the basics there.

     

    2) What are the limitations of your equipment, and how can you work around them? I suspect that you will be technically limited due to the relatively low light output of your SB-600. You may have found clever ways to compensate, but you might also consider a cheap used u/w strobe, could open up some new possibilities.

     

    3) What are you trying to learn? There's all the technical craft - camera settings, strobe position, working with a model, etc.; there's the technique stuff, like how to stalk a shy critter, or get that perfect fish portrait; and of course there's the diving side - excellent neutral buoyancy with a camera. Should be a given, but sadly not.

     

    Also, if you're planning to dive with a group, you may need to shape your assignment accordingly; you probably won't have the chance to take 20 pics of the same subject at different exposures/strobe positions, but you might have the chance to practice shooting with a model, if you can talk someone into it.

  4. yes, getting people to model is very fun and rewarding as well.

     

    i usually eye divers in brightly coloured dive gear and masks with clear skirts, as they look the best in photos. girls in white bikinis work very well too :P

     

    i would show them some shots on the boat, and explain to them how i would like them to pose. maybe some hand signals as well to help fine-tune the position.

     

    doesn't hurt that i usually end up with their contacts and a dinner... :D

     

    you don't really mean to tell me you spent thousands of dollars merely to get photos underwater?

  5. I would go with close focus wide angle and work on balancing the strobe light and ambient light.

     

    -use your sigma 10-20mm

    -find a non-moving subject (an anemone or soft coral)

    -get within 12 inches (30cm)

     

    remember:

    -get close

    -get low (at eye level of your subject or slightly lower)

    -get closer (less water = better detail and color)

    -shoot up (blue or green water background)

     

    -dial in your strobe position and power (consider a diffuser and a second strobe to fill harsh shadows)

    -then adjust shutter speed to balance the ambient light

     

    >>Result: cool shot that relates your main subject with its environment.

     

    Take Care,

    ChrisS

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.