Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

A5000, TTL and dome port

Started by mattd ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

A5000, TTL and dome port

8 posts
  1. A few previous posts on various topics have included a hint that the dome port (for the 19mm Nikon lens) blocks the TTL sensor on Aquatica's Coolpix 5000 housing.

     

    If true, this seems like a serious drawback!

     

    Have any A5000 users out there noticed this?

  2. I can't comment directly because I don't have the Aquatica housing - but I have found that TTL is not necessary or even desired for wideangle shooting.

     

    I recommend setting your strobe power manually at 1/2 or 1/8th depending on your f-stop.

     

    HTH

    James Wiseman

  3. Regarding the Aquatica 5000- the port for the 19mm does not block the TTL view pot that is located to the right of the port. It is close but it does not block it.

    This of course was all taken into consideration when designing the housing.

     

    All in all this housing is one of he easiest and most user friendly housings out there for the CP5000.

    for a complete review please go to archives on this site and look for Aquatica 5000 review.

    You will be pressed to find another housing that gives you this kind of value for your money- full camera function accessibility, 300 ft depth, a housing machined from one piece of Aluminum.

    Great lines and a great paint job....all for less than the competition.....

     

    Mauricio Handler

  4. One more thing....

    James hit it on the button when mentioning that TTl is not necessary or desireable when using the A500. This is what I have been telling everyone for so long.

    Manual exposure and power settings are the way to go for maximum control....

     

    All the best

     

    Mauricio Handler

  5. You can shoot 1:1 macro with the wide angle lens and dome port. I do it all the time with my Ike housing. So it could be usefull to have TTL which you do with the Ike housing. I found that the Ike manual controller works much better than TTL so I agree that lack of TTL is not a problem.

  6. You can shoot 1:1 macro with the wide angle lens and dome port. I do it all the time with my Ike housing. So it could be usefull to have TTL which you do with the Ike housing. I found that the Ike manual controller works much better than TTL so I agree that lack of TTL is not a problem.

    You fill the width of your frame with a subject 36mm across with a wide angle lens and a dome port? Or do you mean something else?

  7. It is an estimation on my part; but I can get the same size image magnification with the CP 5000 and 19 mm lens as I did with an F100 and 60 mm lens shooting 1:1 macro. The D100 gives more apparent magnification due to the 1.5x crop factor. Click on "My Web page" in my signature below for samples and go to the CP 5000 photos. All were taken with the 19 mm lens.

  8. Please see my post "ttl Flash w/A5000"

     

    I do like the Aquatica housing very much, but I disagree on the TTL issue.

     

    I have a problem with TTL closer than about a foot. The shots are too hot, and also inconsistent (lighting, that is - I'll take credit for all other issues :) ). I think that once you reach a certain distance, the port blocks the sensor. Unless the sensor is using the data of the space directly in front of the sensor to judge exposure, but that's not the subject, is it?

     

    I hope I am wrong, but I don't think so.

     

    When I am more than about a foot away, with variable output set to -2, diffusers on, and strobes pulled way back, I get shots that are still SLIGHTLY hot.

     

    Does anyone have settings to recommend for manual? Or settings to use with ttl?

     

    Also - does exposure compensation have any effect on strobe shots??

     

    I appreciate everyone's help.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.