Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Strobe question for Oym 5050

Started by AlanB ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Strobe question for Oym 5050

3 posts
  1. Hello, I have been learning a lot reading the posts here.

     

    I currently own a Nikonos V and an Ikelite Sunstrobe 100 setup.

     

    I am thinking of purchasing the Olympus 5050 and the PT-015

     

    I was wondering if I could use the Sunstrobe 100 with the digital camera

     

    The 100 has settings for TTL, Manual Full Power, and Manual 1/2 power.

     

    I have read that the 5050 can have the pre flash truned off ( correct ? )

    If so, could I add an Ikelite TTL slave sensor # 4100 and have the slave fire the strobe?

     

    Of course I would love to have a DS 125 or Sea and Sea, but do not have the extra money.

     

    Am I asking for trouble using this setup or sould I be OK?

     

    Thanks

    Alan B

  2. Alan,

    I have read that the 5050 can have the pre-flash truned off

    That is correct. This flash mode is called 'slave' on the C5050. But be aware of the following with the C5050:

    - with the pre-flash turned off you cannot shoot in TTL i.e. the camera will not control your flash output. Instead you can use the menu to select 10 output levels

    - turning the pre-flash off is only available in Manual and Aperture Priority shooting modes on the camera

     

    If so, could I add an Ikelite TTL slave sensor #4100 and have the slave fire the strobe

    I think that would work (perhaps Ike could clarify here) but you will only be able to use your strobe in manual mode i.e. select a power setting manually, in this case full or half setting. Or use the 10 output levels to control the output level of your strobe by switching it to 'TTL' (wow, so confusing)

     

    You might also want to have a look at this slave sensor: http://www.muenster.de/~matthias/blitz/indexe.htm

    The folks at digitaldiver are currently testing it: http://www.digitaldiver.info/yabbse/index....ay;threadid=828

  3. Thank you for the information.

     

    I so not want to be stuck with manual only, so I will have to look at alternatives.

     

    Thanks

    Alan

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.