Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

mega puzzled on megapixels

Started by jr1010 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

mega puzzled on megapixels

4 posts
  1. I am new to all of this so please bare with me. I just purchased the Fuji F50 fd camera. After

    reading different postings on megapixels, Iam not sure if it is worth setting the camera to 12MP fine

    or just try a 6MP setting. I have the fuji housing on order and will be diving with a ys-27dx strobe that

    I already owned. Would the lower megapixel setting allow more light per pixel on the ccd then the

    12MP setting? As you can see I don't know a lot about all of this so I hope the question is not a

    foolish one.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Jay :glare:

  2. I am new to all of this so please bare with me. I just purchased the Fuji F50 fd camera. After

    reading different postings on megapixels, Iam not sure if it is worth setting the camera to 12MP fine

    or just try a 6MP setting. I have the fuji housing on order and will be diving with a ys-27dx strobe that

    I already owned. Would the lower megapixel setting allow more light per pixel on the ccd then the

    12MP setting? As you can see I don't know a lot about all of this so I hope the question is not a

    foolish one.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

     

    Not a foolish question. In some of the older Fuji point and shoot cameras like the F810 and E900 Fuji used, and in their DSLR cameras Fuji uses, a special 6MP sensor and used interpolation technology to give a 12MP result. Some people claimed that if they disabled the interpolation algorithm and just took a 6MP image that they got a better resulting image. I don't know that it was ever true but that's what people said. In your camera, the CCD is actually 12MP, not one of the 6MP ones with interpolation. I would imagine that the 6MP setting is just a downsample of a 12MP image designed to save memory so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Just based on the fact that Fuji says you can only get 6MP at high ISO, I would hold very slight hope that maybe they do something with what pixels are sampled at the 6MP setting. However, that would require some serious forethought so I would bet against it . . .

     

    Mike

  3. I would keep your camera at its highest setting. I think the advantages of cropping closer out-weigh any noise due to cramming that many pixels into a small sensor. Additionally, to offset this somewhat you can always shoot at the lowest ISO setting. Since you have a YS27DX that should put out ample light to accomplish that.

  4. I would keep your camera at its highest setting. I think the advantages of cropping closer out-weigh any noise due to cramming that many pixels into a small sensor. Additionally, to offset this somewhat you can always shoot at the lowest ISO setting. Since you have a YS27DX that should put out ample light to accomplish that.

     

    Thanks guys,

    I really appreciate the time and help. I will use your recommendations.

    Jay

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.