Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Red Sea- Fish ID please

Started by nusspli ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Red Sea- Fish ID please

12 posts
  1. I need help with identifying fish photos from the Red Sea. (Common names are sufficient if that's all you know)

     

    Thanks!

     

    -Jessica

    post-2845-1193774637_thumb.jpg

    post-2845-1193774660_thumb.jpg

  2. I need help with identifying fish photos from the Red Sea. (Common names are sufficient if that's all you know)

     

    Thanks!

     

    -Jessica

    post-2845-1193774855.jpg

    post-2845-1193774890_thumb.jpg

  3. Without the dorsal, the first one is a bit difficult, but I'll go with Epinephelus tauvina: Greasy grouper

    The second is a Sabre squirrelfish: Sargocentron spiniferum.

    Marli

  4. First appears to be Plectropomus pessuliferus, Roving coral grouper

    Second is Freckled hawkfish, Paracirrehites forsteri

    Cheers,

    Marli

  5. First appears to be Plectropomus pessuliferus, Roving coral grouper

    Second is Freckled hawkfish, Paracirrehites forsteri

    Cheers,

    Marli

     

     

    Thanks Marli for the identification help.

     

    I am having an exhibit and it's helpful to to have a fish id in case someone asks ;-).

     

    I also checked out your website! Really great shots!!!

     

    -Jessica

     

     

    www.jessicavasale.com

    Edited by nusspli
  6. I joined your to threads. There is no need to start more than one ID request topic at once.

  7. I joined your to threads. There is no need to start more than one ID request topic at once.

     

     

    I couldn't have download all four images in one 'topic'......

  8. You can add more pictures by replying to the topic you've allready started.

  9. You can add more pictures by replying to the topic you've allready started.

     

     

    Got it. Thanks.

  10. I agree with Marli on three of these but just wondered about the red grouper. Groupers vary a lot in colour and can be quite hard to ID, especially with just a head shot. I feel it could equally be Cephalopholis miniata which is very, very common in the Red Sea. It goes under a variety of common names - Coral Rock Cod, Coral Grouper and Jewel Grouper to name a few

  11. It was a problematic ID for me, too. I didn't feel it matched any of the "blue dotted" redish groupers. The pectoral just doesn't look right. The one it most looked like to me was P. oligacanthus, but the range is wrong. Over to the experts.

    Cheers,

    Marli

    Edited by scubamarli
  12. Interesting, the color in groupers does vary, but the head shape doesn't. While I agree with Marli and cannot decide on the ID of the red grouper, of one thing I am absolutely 100% sure, it is a Plectropomus species and not Cephalopholis miniata. In this case, I vote for Plectropomus pessuliferus. As Marli says, it also resembles P. oligacanthus, but P. oligacanthus doesn't occur in the Red Sea.

     

    The other Plectropomus species in the Red Sea are very distinctive and don't look like that at all. Marli, you may be finding this to be different from the regular P. pessuliferus because of its color, and you are right on that, the population in the Red Sea is considered as a different subspecies: Plectropomus pessuliferus marisburi. For more info and photos check these pages:

     

    Plectropomus pessuliferus

     

    Cephalopholis miniata

     

    Check how different their heads look.

     

    Luiz

    Edited by Rocha

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.