Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Can images be recovered in Photoshop

Started by Stig_of_the_dump ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Can images be recovered in Photoshop

3 posts
  1. Is there any way to 'restore' images with a blue / green cast in Photoshop? (i.e. images that were taken without correcting for the white colour balance). Are these images 'irretrievable' or are there ball park adjustments that can be made in Photoshop before fine tuning or is it just a question of 'playing around' from the outset?

     

    Apologies if this is the wrong forum for naive questions. If so, please let me know and I will re-post.

     

    The images are recorded in JPEG using a Canon Powershot A570is. I bought the camera and housing just before going on a trip.

     

    The visibility in Oman this trip was poorer than I remember it on previous trips so using the internal flash was only viable for macro shots.

     

    I used available light wherever possible to avoid backscatter. I didn't print off the full manual (which I discovered on a CD when I got home :guiness: ) so I never worked out how to adjust the white colour balance. For those familiar with Canon Powershot cameras, I tried putting the camera in manual mode, clicking on 'func set' and scrolling down to 'evaluate white balance' and focussing the camera at a white slate near the surface. I also tried 'underwater' mode. Neither approach seems to have removed the blue / green cast - perhaps it wasn't meant to? Obviously I will check the correct way to do it before taking the camera underwater again.

     

    I did get some images that I'm quite happy with but I am clearly at the bottom of quite a steep learning curve (which is fine, as it happens). However, in the meantime, I want to play with some of my images in Photoshop.

     

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Best wishes, Stig

  2. Depending on the image there is tweaking that can be done, varies from picture to picture in what needs to be done and results may vary. Couple of tutorials which shows the ideas

     

    Getting Rid of Blues

     

    Remove Cyan Cast

    Edited by TheRealDrew
  3. Depending on the image there is tweaking that can be done, varies from picture to picture in what needs to be done and results may vary. Couple of tutorials which shows the ideas

     

    Getting Rid of Blues

     

    Remove Cyan Cast

     

    Brilliant. Thank you. I'll give these a go. Much appreciated. :)

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.