Skip to content

The Galley: General Chat / Archived topic

Wetpixel Encyclopedia of Underwater Photography

Started by vincentkneefel ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Encyclopedia of Underwater Photography

7 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    For the last 2 weeks I was forced to spend some time in one of the ugliest and most polluted cities in Mexico (Monterrey) to finish some boring schoolstuff and write some exams.

     

    The bright side of it was, that I finally got some time to explore the 'archives' of wetpixels (all the very interesting and amusable topics that were discussed over the years).

     

    I must say, that for a beginner like me that is very keen on learning more about U/W photography, wetpixel is like a candy store ;) I haven't found any other source that is as comprehensive as these forums, with great experts contributing their knowledge to topics and discussions (it is like Tiger Woods, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and other pros telling you everything they know about playing golf).

     

    Wetpixel staff might want to consider bundling all this knowledge in the Wetpixel Encyclopedia of Underwater Photography some day :guiness:

     

    I just want to thank you all for sharing your information and I hope to learn a lot more from all of you in the future.

     

    Now off to Cocos,

    Cheers

     

    Vincent

  2. Great suggestion, Vincent.

     

    I certainly agree it would be very useful to have more of the best information in some of the older discussions more easily available.

     

    We tried it before with the Best Of Wetpixel section - although I don't think this really worked - as people complained it was full of old threads!

     

    So suggestions are most gratefully received.

     

    Alex

  3. We're probably going to have to get some volunteers to create a will-moderated Wiki.

     

    ... and we'll probably move the "Best of" posts back into their respective categories. :guiness:

  4. I will be happy to help with this.

     

    I would like to see useful reference information on lenses and ports (notably wide angle). Same could be done with strobes (controversially), perhaps strobe arms, TTL/housing/strobe compatibility, etc.

     

    Ordinarily, it would be the content that would require the most work, but in this case it may be the integration with the site.

  5. How about adding keywords to threads to assist with sorting and searching.

  6. We're probably going to have to get some volunteers to create a will-moderated Wiki.

     

    ... and we'll probably move the "Best of" posts back into their respective categories. :)

     

    That's an awesome idea. Count me in. I already have an idea for an article - I consider myself something of an expert on how to blow the shot underwater, having practiced a great deal.

     

    No seriously, would like to help if I can.

     

    If interested, here's a site on creating/driving adoption of wikis. Wikipatterns

    Edited by tjgreen
  7. We discussed a Wiki (for Critter ID) a while ago http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...593&hl=wiki

     

    I guess it has similar problems. But a quick google search says you can implement it with expression engine (pMachine) which isn't that what WP uses ? http://www.ennovy.org/user_guide/modules/wiki/index.html

     

    The thing I guess then is how much work needs to be done to atler how it works. I imagine for a database of Best Of threads and Articles on Techniques etc would be fairly simple.

    As mentioned in the Critter thread that would probably be harder to implement but IMO equally as useful.

     

    As for the search on this forum I find it works pretty good, particularly when searching for something you read in the past, I imagine searching without knowing what has been talked about it's not as easy. I normally remember a keyword and a author which really lowers the topic list down.

    Edited by Giles
Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.