Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

TTL flash w/A5000

Started by Rob Esaw ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

TTL flash w/A5000

6 posts
  1. Hey folks.

     

    I'm still new to the digital U/W thing, and I am finding it difficult to use ttl flash w/Aquatica 5000 in w/a.

     

    If I shoot from a distance better than 1 foot, the shots seem fine, though just on the edge of too hot.

     

    But, when I come in closer, I get way too many blown out spots. This could be due to the port blocking the sensor, but I am not sure at this point.

     

    I am using 1 or 2 Nikonos SB105 strobes, both with diffusers

    variable power set to -2

    ttl setting on strobes.

     

    I have tried program exposure, and recently 1/500 at 5.6. I don't see much difference with different settings (flash is most of the contributing light).

     

    I assume the exposure compensation does not make a diffence with strobe light???

  2. Anyone?

  3. Sorry, didn't see this before Rob.

     

    When shooting this close, you should be in Manual or Apertur mode, NOT program mode. You want the highest fnumber your camera will give you.

     

    Do a guide number calc.

     

    When you are shooting SUPER close up like that and the camera only goes up to f8 or 10 you don't want much power to come out of the strobe. We're talking like a guide number/power of less than 8 (ISO100)

     

    On a Nikon SB105, that will be what...lemme look on my chart...ok, for f8 at 1/16th power it says .5 to .75 ft. That sounds about right Don.

     

    So, take the shot as before, then switch the stobe to manual 1/16th and repeat. See if the shot is properly exposed. If so, then it is an issue with the sensor being blocked. It could also be that your SB105 can't quench fast enough...

     

    If you want to keep shooting in TTL, this may mean that you need to pull your strobes BACK - one foot gives you one fstop less light. That's what I ended up doing with my Coolpix 5000 when I had one.

     

    HTH

    James

  4. Thanks James. You're the best.

     

    How about shutter speeds????

  5. For macro with no ambient light the shutterspeed plays no part at all.

     

    Cheers

    James

  6. Sorry Rob I have been swamped. In short I found TTL was blowing out the picture so shot manual. macro F8 or what it will give you with 1/500.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.