Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Nikon Coolpix 5100 or Canon A570 as first setup

Started by artemis210 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon Coolpix 5100 or Canon A570 as first setup

3 posts
  1. Hi everyone, I'm just starting out and have been doing a lot of forum reading, but am still having trouble choosing a setup. I was thinking possibly the Canon A570 with the ikelite housing or the Nikon p5100 with the fantasea housing. My major criteria is that I've got a $600-&700 limit on camera + housing.

     

    I would also like the camera to be something worth growing with, so manual features and expandability are important.

     

    I'm not sure if I should be focusing more on the camera and less on the housing, as that could introduce the Canon G9 with the Canon housing, but the ikelite is too expensive .

     

    I've been leaning toward the p5100, but I've heard some horrible things about the slow focus and shutter lag. At the same time, I've seen some amazing pictures with it's predecessor the p5000, so should I overlook the lag?

     

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8825200@N08/

     

    Will it be too slow to catch anything moving underwater? I'm not just interested in doing macro shots. I've seen some great pics from the fuji e900 as well. Too many choices. Please help.

  2. I also would like to hear more about any shutter lag and BATTERY LIFE for underwater use on the 5100.

    Sold the Oly and now am looking for it's replacement.

     

    The FlIrishman

    Orlando, Fl

  3. Any P&S camera you buy is going to have some issues with shutter lag in low light, low contrasting areas. You can even test this in a store by aiming the camera at the carpet while blocking ambient light. Some are better than others, but all of them suffer from it. Furthermore, focusing is actually part of the problem. Most point and shoots will focus with half a shutter press....the problem underwater is know what is half since the feel of the shutter lever is different. I found by getting used to the shutter lag with my old P&S, it actually made me a more patient and better underwater photographer. No wasted shots, so to speak as you had to make everyone count.

    With all that said, I'm uncertain of the Nikon but the Canon G7 and G9 seem to have quite a few people getting good results. I think since Inon has come out with WA and Macro lenses for them it has removed one of the barriers to purchasing them. There is a guy on www.digidiver.net who goes by the handle of the chickenator..or something like that who has done some outstanding things with the G7. Worth checking out.

    Edited by ce4jesus
Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.